My opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion.

First post, only joined today & very much a new photographer. Having been given some back copies of EOS Magazine I note that many issues have articles on altering your photos. I personally find this a form of cheating, as surely with so many wonderful settings on EOS cameras there is no need to cheat?

Re: My opinion.

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
    First post, only joined today & very much a new photographer. Having been given some back copies of EOS Magazine I note that many issues have articles on altering your photos. I personally find this a form of cheating, as surely with so many wonderful settings on EOS cameras there is no need to cheat?
    as you will learn its not just the photo from the camera its post editing of the photo. to bring out the best of what you have taken. before digital we had film and used darkrooms to edit photos learn cropping light adjustment to bring out hidden items to reduce noise. shoot raw and if your not totally ready for just raw files raw and jpg files rule of 3rds etc. and the list gets ever so large its not cheating its mastering the art of taking photographs

joe
    ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
    1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Welcome Daisy, ..I've had my own reservations regarding post processing but I firmly believe its not cheating......when I challenged the Royal Photographic Society during a distinctions panel meeting where I suggested that using layers and superimposing elements from two images into one was not photography...it was pointed out to me that photography has always been subject to post process manipulation. I still think its best to get the shot straight out of the camera but firmly support image manipulation having considered that even the simplest of successful old mono images were probably dodged and burned and cropped before printing.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Tom

Comment

cheating mmmm nope sorry, like others have said its been going on since the days of a darkroom and its part of the process of producing a good photo
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Daisy, hope you enjoy it here as great members will give help and advice if or when you need any. Same way of thinking from me too, I don`t think editing is cheating at all as a little bit of an edit can really boost a photo.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Daisy.

It's true that when shooting jpeg with your EOS camera you can use different settings to get the lighting right or give assistance with a night shot or close up etc

But next time you take a perfect shot- just PERFECT!- apart from the bloke in the red anorak to the side - would it be cheating to remove him ? Once you've made that decision you may start thinking about all the other things you can do to enhance your picture................
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Welcome Daisey and I am sure you will enjoy the forum very much. Regarding your opinion, photography is a personal thing- for your enjoyment whether it is to record an event or to capture in camera something you have seen. I am perhaps one of a few members on this forum who doesn't believe in altering an image apart from a very minimal and basic edit- such as lifting a shadow or a bit of sharpening here and there- nothing major. In most cases I try to get the picture as best as possible within the camera itself. I also shoot the majority of my pictures in Jpeg but I resort to RAW/Jpeg in case of certain unrepeatable events such as a Christening, or a birthday party or a concert which are all "one off"! My preferring Jpeg for the majority of my photos is because I don't wish to spend too much time in post processing RAW images sitting besides my computer. I know many members here who have not processed their images for many years!!!

Whatever you decide, enjoy your photography and this forum and you will get very good advice whether positive or negative for your benefit.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

surely by shooting Jpeg the camera is processing the image for you - so its not really what your seeing or a photo thats straight out of the camera its a camera processed image

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Welcome... Well your first post was a goody lol.... Like lighting the touch paper.... Cheating is a little strong, but it's your opinion, I'm fairly new to photoshop and lightroom, and it's a steep learning curve, but I welcome it, it assists you with creating the photo you saw in your head when you pressed the shutter... isn't that what photography is all about?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

My angle is ask myself what do I want.....do I want to simply enjoy using my camera, make a pictorial record as accurately as possible or create the most visually appealing representative artwork (according to my tastes and preferences - or those of others)....all are good motives for enjoying photography and equally valid.

By the way...if you can achieve the latter straight out of the camera then that would be the greater achievement than over-relying on post processing.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Post-processing of a raw image can actually produce something that is closer to what you saw than relying on the camera. And is it cheating to use the camera for a particular effect e.g throwing a background out of focus with a large aperture when the human eye would really see both the background and subject in focus?
                        These forms of software are the digital equivalent of a darkroom, but the number of tools available is much greater and they are easier to use (and easier to use badly).
                        However, there are areas where I would definitely draw the line, e.g. photographing a bird somewhere then cutting it out and pasting it into another scene where it never was.
                        Apparently trick photography became very popular within just a few years of the invention of photography, "the camera cannot lie" was always a lie.
                        No amount of work at the computer will ever make a bad photo into a good one.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Daisy, I would define "cheating" as the individual who says "I can fix that in Photoshop" although I wouldn't call it cheating, I would call it lazy. Why bother aiming for the right look in camera when one can just make the image after the fact?

But that said, Photoshop isn't really cheating. It does allow a latitude that can take an image to the next level. What is cheating is when someone radically alters an image and presents it as authentically shot. For example, a gorgeously clear moon in a perfectly exposed night photo. As a photographer I KNOW it would never have come out that way and therefore had to be shot in two separate exposures. Now mind you, in the film days I used double exposure technique. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion unless one tries to present it as an image that was shot that way.

At some point with sufficient manipulation, an image becomes a graphical art as opposed to a photo. Many times I will step to that level with an image because that is the vision I have for it. Anyone with half a brain can look at the image and know it was modified and deliberately so.

Cheating to me is when one is too lazy to make the effort to get the shot right in the camera so instead spends hours in Photoshop compensating for their lack of ability. So in my humble opinion, you are thinking of it the wrong way overall. There is a place for it...
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Thank you all for your comments, so does that mean that all 12 of the photos on the Countryfile Callander have been Photoshopped & is that still okay in your eyes?

Comment

I've not seen countryfile calendar but if they were shot with digital then yes they have had some work whether thats minor adjusts to pull shadows or maybe removing a car that spoiled a shot as it was going down the road - or even just jpegs processed by the camera, does that make it a bad thing? if the image is nice no

Comment

Working...
                              X