Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My opinion.

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
    Why does anyone post a photograph on here? Surely it's to invite comments good and bad. if I submit a photo, I want people to say how they think it could be improved, although I might not agree with their comment.

John
    agree completely, if we don't offer views on images and process what is the point of posting images - you mite just as well collect "likes" on FB
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Couldn't agree more. If I put an image on here I see comments as constructive. IIRC earlier in this thread it was discussed about comments and that you can either take them on board or not.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        Couldn't agree more. If I put an image on here I see comments as constructive. IIRC earlier in this thread it was discussed about comments and that you can either take them on board or not.
        Also agree 100%. If one of the members points out a better way I can do something then I WILL make a note of it and try, when I first joined this forum, got to say I did not like the comments, so after a rest I came back and I love the comments now, good or bad as we all learn from each other

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
          Fair enough if the original poster has asked for criticism, but not otherwise.
          Quentin
          The original post includes this statement:

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
          I personally find this a form of cheating, as surely with so many wonderful settings on EOS cameras there is no need to cheat?
          Personally I think he got off lightly.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

HI Daisy M
            My observation is this: the eye has a much larger dynamic range than a camera sensor, from 100,000 lumens/sq meter (full sunlight) to 0.001 or less (starlight) although maybe a little unfair because that needs the eye to adapt between ranges. So the post processing I am more tolerant of is where the dynamic range is increased, either by HDR or other methods. I would not call that cheating, more like trying to persuade a DLSR picture to become more eye-like. Furthermore, as others have pointed out, as a lad I often saw my father "dodging" a print to reduce the intensity of a part of a shot (in B&W then). I did not regard that as cheating at the time, and I would not do so now.

Comment

I quite often see this sort of discussion about post processing being cheating. Well I'll add my thoughts.
              1. If you are using Photoshop etc. to mend a picture due to poor camera technique then I agree you are cheating. You should learn how to take good pictures.
              2. If you are using post processing to enhance and artistically reinterpret your image then great, that's what it is there to do. I include in this removal of extraneous objects from the view, cloning out blemishes etc. We used to airbrush, dodge burn, use high contrast papers, play with filtration etc. in the darkroom. If the picture is a journalistic shot, DON'T edit it. If it is a record shot same applies.
              If the picture has been created for artistic reasons, knock yourself out and have fun. Photography has many different facets but if you are being artistic then there are no rules.
              J.M.W.Turner painted The Fighting Temeraire which I would contend is an amazing painting but I am absolutely certain that what you see only ever existed in his head and never in real life.
              Photography can be seen the same way. I will edit to create mood, and artistic effect. To me that is totally valid. I will, however, ruthlessly delete any original RAW file that is incorrectly exposed, out of focus or just plain bad photography.
              Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Photography is art - just as an artist using a pencil, watercolours or oils is an interpretation - it isn't exactly want is seen - and so is photography.
                Even shooting in Black and White - which is all that could be done for many years - is not 'cheating' but artistic interpretation. Enjoy the art.

Comment

Originally posted by GraemeCamera View Post
                  Photography is art - just as an artist using a pencil, watercolours or oils is an interpretation - it isn't exactly want is seen - and so is photography.
                  Even shooting in Black and White - which is all that could be done for many years - is not 'cheating' but artistic interpretation. Enjoy the art.
                  Bravo!
                  Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X