Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenko Convertor for EF-S

Hi

I have just been given as a present a Kenko C-AF1 2X Teleplus MC4 which my wife thought would fit my Canon 40D with the standard 18 - 55 mm EF-S lens.

I tried to fit it but, as it would not fit, I checked and found out this is only for EF lenses, can any one recommend a 2x convertor that will fit the EF-S lenses so I can get one without her knowing!!

The joys of being a Newbie!

Re: Kenko Convertor for EF-S

You need the HD DGX 2X
    http://www.kenkoglobal.com/photo/len...20x_canon.html
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

If you try to use a 2x converter with the 18-55 lens on a 40D you will have problems with focussing. The 40D autofocus system is limited in theory to lenses or lens/converter combinations with maximum aperture of f5.6. If you attach a converter to the 18-55 the effective maximum aperture becomes 7-11 (3.5-5.6 x 2) - well outside the top limit.

I have tried a 2x converter with a 3.5-5.6 lens on my 40D and the lens is would not focus. The focusing motor operates but the lens cannot focus and simply cycles from minimum to maximum and back again until either you stop trying or the camera stops for you.

My advice is to forget the idea and look for other options.

There is a Kenko 1.4x DGX converter that does fit EF-S lenses - that may and I stress may work on the 18-55 BUT a 1.4x converter is pretty ineffective on such a short lens - converters are really intended for, and in the case of Canon's ones only fit, telephoto lenses, the gain on short lenses is so minimal as to not be worth spending the cash as you'd probably get as good a result cropping the image in post processing.

Forget the 2x unless you want to force her to manually focus everything - not easy either as the finder screen isn't really designed for manual focusing and it gets very dark as well...
      Last edited by El Sid; 02-09-2016, 11:41.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hi
        Thanks for the replies.
        I forgot to mention that I have been offered a Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 II zoom lens which I presume I should therefore be able to use on the 40D with the Kenko.
        I just want to be able to use it so she doesn't feel guilty for buying the wrong thing!

Comment

You should get the Kenko HD 1.4x convertor (not sure of the DGX) and this will fit very well. I use this convertor for all my wildlife pics. The advantage with this convertor is that you can also use the EF-s lenses via this convertor with your EF full frame cameras as well. An excellent piece of equipment IMHO.

First of all check your camera and lens with the compatibility chart published by Kenko, which is very important
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-09-2016, 11:57.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Even with the 75 - 300 you won't get autofocus with a 2x converter at 300 mm as the effective aperture would still be F11 (i.e 2 stops less than the F5.6 aperture at 300 mm)
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I too use a Kenko HD 1.4x converter but with my 55-250mm EF-S and it's only really worth it in very good light.
              Chris
              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by drummermouse View Post
                Hi

I have just been given as a present a Kenko C-AF1 2X Teleplus MC4 which my wife thought would fit my Canon 40D with the standard 18 - 55 mm EF-S lens.

I tried to fit it but, as it would not fit, I checked and found out this is only for EF lenses, can any one recommend a 2x convertor that will fit the EF-S lenses so I can get one without her knowing!!

The joys of being a Newbie!
                forget it ,a 2x tc will simply degrade your images to the point of being unusable .the 1.4HD while good as nat states is not worth the return you will get from it ,there are plenty of cheap medium zoom range lenses out there on the new or s/h market that will give you extra reach
                i.e canon 55-250is STM is circa £129 new
                sigma 70-300 anywhere from £50 to £90 used
                canon 70-300 non is same sort of price used
                tamron versions probably a little dearer used again depending on models

all these lenses work out cheaper than a new kenko 1.4 tc and can only enhance your capabilities ,expensive lenses don't make you a better photographer they just ensure you have a smaller bank balance .always go for the cheap option till you have sorted out your niche ,i.e wildlife ,sports ,portrait ,landscape etc

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  You should get the Kenko HD 1.4x convertor (not sure of the DGX) and this will fit very well. I use this convertor for all my wildlife pics. The advantage with this convertor is that you can also use the EF-s lenses via this convertor with your EF full frame cameras as well. An excellent piece of equipment IMHO.

First of all check your camera and lens with the compatibility chart published by Kenko, which is very important
                  nat NOT WITH HIS LENS ,simply not worth it and probably won't work either

Comment

I have the Kenko 1.4 TC which I primarily bought to use with the Sigma 105 mm 2.8 macro lens. The two work very well together, giving me the equivalent of a 168 mm F4 lens while retaining the close focus. In fact, on the crop sensor body this is equivalent to a 235 mm on full frame.
                    I have also tested the TC out with an older body, the 450D (similar age to the 40D) , and a very old (15 years or more) Tamron 90 mm F2.8 macro. Again they work very well, AF not as fast or quiet as the latest lenses, but pretty swift. I suspect they may well work with the 2X TC as well to give an F5.6, quality would be poorer though. There are plenty of older Sigma and Tamron F2.8 macro lenses available second hand at fairly low prices, though without image stabilisation of course. That would be the only combination I could suggest at a sensible cost, it would give you a medium telephoto and a macro lens, and you don't always have to use the TC of course, giving you also a short tele or portrait lens.
                    Perhaps if you know where the TC was bought they might exchange it for the 1.4??
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by drummermouse View Post
                      Hi
                      Thanks for the replies.
                      I forgot to mention that I have been offered a Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 II zoom lens which I presume I should therefore be able to use on the 40D with the Kenko.
                      I just want to be able to use it so she doesn't feel guilty for buying the wrong thing!
                      You might just get away with the 1.4x on the 40D in decent light or on subjects with good contrast as the effective maximum aperture will be f8. I have used 2x converters with f4 (so = to f8) lenses on my 40D and 2 older models and retained AF. That said the AF tends to be slow, occasionally inaccurate and if the light or subject contrast are poor impossible.

Converters are a sort of no alternative option. There is always some loss in image quality, less in 1.4x than 2, but to really make them work you need to start with a top notch lens which TBH the 75-300 MkII is not. Frankly I think you'd be better served putting the money toward a 550-250 or maybe a used 70-300 IS USM or Tamron 70-300mm VC.
                      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                        nat NOT WITH HIS LENS ,simply not worth it and probably won't work either
                        Very sorry.I did not read the post properly. Having read it again, I agree 100% with Jeff as stated above.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I have only used the Kenko 1.4HD convertor with my Canon 55-250 STM lens and the 70-300mm L lens and it works very well. So that's my take on this teleconvertor. The AF is quite fast most times; first class in good light. Always at the top end- 250mm and 300mm.
                          Last edited by Nathaniel; 02-09-2016, 15:46.

Comment

Lots of food for thought.
                            I will look at the cheaper lenses you mention.

Comment

I just tried a friends Sigma 75 - 300mm EF lens mounted to the 40D via the Kenko x2, fitted Ok, took a picture and the camera froze with a ERR 1 message.

Am I doing something wrong or are there only certain lenses that will work on the 40D?

Comment

Working...
                              X