Primes versus zooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primes versus zooms

OK, here we go again, I hear you say......

I still use primes more than zooms and optically (and in terms of speed) they still have the edge but my thesis is this...

Is the difference (if any) important any more (most people, say 90%, including pros, use mostly zooms) as any zoom problems (e.g. barrel distortion, CA) can be corrected with DPP / PS or similar?

I still prefer primes (on the 5D mk11 for serious work) for their speed and wide apertures but if I am honest, my 50D has zooms on it most of the time...

Gary
    Yes
    50.00%
    Yes - but it doesn't matter
    28.57%
    No
    14.29%
    Don't know
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

www.garywhite-photography.com
    Gary White, MPhil
    Travel Photographer

Re: Primes versus zooms

I'm in the process of collecting more primes for the 5D MkII, at the wider end particularly.
    Will I get rid of my zooms - no, definitely not. I still have the 40D and they are perfect for that (17-40 & 24-105). I did sell my 70-200 f4 and replaced it with the 200 f2.8, 100 f2.8 macro, 85 f1.8 and 50 1.8 (Mk I)

Lez
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

The only primes i currently own are a 180 macro and a 600 tele-Zooms are soooo good these days that the difference between them and a prime is pretty non existant-as long as they are pro Zooms

Comment

Actually i should clairfy my last statement-not all pro zooms are as good as a prime-take the 100-400 and the 24-105 for example, Primes are generally better than a zoom but there are a couple of excellent zooms out there like the 70-200 F2.8 i.s

Comment

and the 24-70f2.8L is excellent too :-)

Comment

I have only owned one prime, that was a 50 mm Pentax, way back in time (In the 80ies), otherwise I only have and have had zooms.

When doing wide angel photography, I tend to use my 16-35 at 16 mm, I guess, 90 % of the time. I'm very much in love with the quite new 24 mm L MkII, which I think would match my needs very well.

I am convinced that a prime will produce viewable better results than a zoom, it's quite logical that it is like that, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              and the 24-70f2.8L is excellent too :-)
              Indeed, we shoot mostly children in our studio and I've always loved this lens. After many years of hard work, it won't zoom past 50. Hoping a good servicing will correct the problem as it has always been my favorite. The range is necessary for the unpredictable nature of our primary subjects.

Comment

I get more enjoyment out of using a prime somehow...
                Dave

Comment

I think they make you slow down and think. I have always said that. My best shots have always been taken with primes (both from an aesthetic and financial point of view) but this is probably just personal preference. My EF-S lenses on APS-C bodies have been fine for stock agencies..
                  Gary White, MPhil
                  Travel Photographer

Comment

Originally posted by Espen View Post

When doing wide angel photography, .
                    I believe the politically correct term is "plus size spiritual entities" - being gravitationally challenged myself.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                      I believe the politically correct term is "plus size spiritual entities" - being gravitationally challenged myself.
                      LOL, I was going to ask if that was like shooting fat fairies.
                      Regards ,
                      Norman

Comment

I mainly use primes, but with the 40D their is no practical wide angle prime. When I use zoom lenses I find that I tend to use the extreme ends, rarely stopping half-way. So the zoom is sort of redundant in my use of the lens.
                        I would really like Canon to come up with a 17 or 18mm f2.8-f4L somewhere in the price range of one of their standard L zooms. The new T&S 17mm does not look like a practical everyday lens and its too expensive for that type of use.

Graeme

Comment

Graeme, I agree. I use the 18-50 mm f2.8 EX DC Sigma with my 50D and if I want to go wider, I have the (Sigma again) 10-20mm. There is no real wide angle prime. Canon used to make a 17mm lens in the the old FD mount but now there is just 20mm or 15mm.
                          Gary White, MPhil
                          Travel Photographer

Comment

They could even make it an EFS....but they would be letting a lot of people down. I suspect it would be a very popular purchase.

Graeme

Comment

There are no EF-S L lenses or any primes apart from the 60mm macro. I guess that Canon believe the market for EF-S is prosumer for the 1000 / 500 / 50D series, so they aim for zooms.
                              I have fitted the 15mm f2.8 EF prime to the 40D - it gives 24mm full frame equivalent. Overall, i find the 10-20mm Sigma the best wide
                              Gary White, MPhil
                              Travel Photographer

Comment

Working...
                              X