Mammy- The Al Jolson story- performed by Issi Dyke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mammy- The Al Jolson story- performed by Issi Dyke

I thought I would go to the theatre, one of my pet loves, to watch Issi Dyke perform Al Jolson's hits. Issi Dye is an Australian artist presently touring UK and he has performed as Al Johnson for the last 20 years or so. Needless to say that it was an excellent "white face" performance, due to PC. All pictures taken without flash with the Canon 760D + 55-250mm lens. Manual mode with TV 160,auto ISO, auto WB

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 003 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 004 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 006 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 009 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 012 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr

Mammy- Al Jolson- Issy Dye 8th Sept 2016 014 by Nathaniel Ramanaden, on Flickr
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 08-09-2016, 18:25.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Mammy- The Al Jolson story- performed by Issi Dyke

Excellent work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    James Boardman Woodend
    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Well taken Nat

Tom

Comment

Not my taste in music, Nat, and I'm not too keen on his taste in clothes either, but those pictures are very, very sharp so sharp, in fact, that I assumed you'd used your 6D but EXIF says no - it's the 760D all at ISO1600. Impressive stuff

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Wish I had known nat ,would have come with I love al Jolson and his songs

Comment

Thanks James, Tom,John & Jeff for your comments which are much appreciated. I did read a lot about the 760D before I bought it and one of the plus reviews was it's low light capabilities. However, I capped the auto ISO at 1600. John, as we all know, all music is not to everyone's taste and we can always pick and choose what we like.I am not a fan of modern music. Dye's clothes are,I presume,the ones Al Jolson wore and I have a faint recollection of that kind of kit when our TV featured series of the Black and white Minstrels shows- the good old days!. Jeff,I did cast around for people to join me but being a matinee show, it did not suit the "workers"! There is always a next time. There is Foster and Allen coming around, and also Charles Landsborough, Bay City Rollers (80th celebs) to mention a few.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Great work Nat [emoji106]

Best Regards
              Peter
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

excellent work Nat
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks very much Peter and Ian.

Comment

As all the above, great work Nat and with a great lens too

Comment

Not my type of music either. Well remember the B&W Minstrel Show was a favourite of my parents.

Impressive images Nat the exposure looks really good and the images look very detailed too.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks Dave and Ant for passing by.

Comment

Nat I really like these very sharp images which certainly harp back to a very different era.

I also remember the B & W Minstrel Show which my father always watched because he enjoyed the music so much which of course as you said is not PC any more. But I believe that during Al Jolsons lifetime along with many other stars it was the norm to black out, all very interesting social stuff.

Sue

Comment

You haven captured some really excellent pictures Nat
                            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Fantastic images there Nat, very well captured. As has been said, they are so sharp and vibrant, particularly the first 3. Really nicely done.

Garry
                              Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                              Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X