Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online Backup taking 69 days!?! Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Online Backup taking 69 days!?! Is this normal?

I've had two drives die in the last two months. One contained all my photos but was in a mirror RAID so I lost nothing, plus I have a backup to a NAS and a backup of that. A hard drive, rotating or flash, can die at any time, or go on for ages. BTW I'm always impressed when a drive is sounding like a lawn-mower and the SMART data still insists it's okay... I'm completely unimpressed by the usefullness of SMART.

Comment

Look on the brightside Only 53 more days until your backup is complete lol.

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I too am sceptical as to the longevity of hard drives, and also their nickability (my ex took several) and also that they are a goner in a fire. So I back everything up to Dropbox and have copies on both my MacBook Air and my iMac. But then when that gets too much I transfer bulk files to my AirPort (or whatever silly name Apple use) and am about to back that up to Amazon. But I am waiting for fibre to arrive in the next fortnight, because as you say, the upload speeds on ASDL Broadband are ludicrous for those of us trying to pump something into the internet rather than simply downloading. I am promised 17-18 whatevers a minute upload as opposed to 2. Up till now the best bet has been to get on to some poor unsuspecting client's guest network and accidentally leave Dropbox synching in the background. It often works a treat, otherwise at home I have to pause it.

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
        I thought I would remind members about the dangers of "on line backups" with the present furore about Pippa Middleton's photographs being hacked into. I back up and prefer to back up on to another hard drive and am happy to do this.
        Regret to say that my photographs are unlikely to garner as much interest as Pippa's photographs!!! One day, maybe I will be a good enough photographer that my photos are worth stealing for their photographic quality as opposed to the drive they are sitting on!
        Last edited by rcarca; 06-10-2016, 16:47.
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Having spent my whole career in IT, I can tell you many horror stories about online backup. In the US one online company went bust and so did all the data. I personally use external drives for backup and have my computer configured in a raid array. I currently have about 4 Tb of data. I do keep my external drives 'off site' in a small fire safe in an outbuilding, but I'm just paranoid.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Working...
          X