Canon Repair Centre - what a joke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Repair Centre - what a joke!

I recently had need to send my EF24-70 F.28 lens in for repair - see here: http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...07-Lens-repair and was also told to send in my EOS 6D body.

Got a quote back for £169 which included a clean & service of the body too which I declined as the sensor was spotlessly clean & I've heard rumours of cameras sent in for sensor cleans coming back no different or worse.

Despite this, Canon still went ahead and 'cleaned' the body & sensor but after a quick call waived the payment so I only paid for the lens repair. So far so good...

So, got camera + lens back today, filter thread replaced, looking good. Then took a few test photos and....

• Although the sensor was ’cleaned’ it now is appallingly dirty – each time I take a picture there are different marks on it – sometimes spots (not sure if these are dust or oil spots) but sometimes long oblong marks which are much bigger; not hairs but perhaps some kind of fibres. Perhaps they used a duster

• There are also some specks of dust within the viewfinder that I’m sure were not there before I sent it in.

• As to the EF24-70 lens, the filter thread has been replaced but there are now several (5+) specks of dust within the lens itself that were not there before sent in either (It’s only a year or so old & never comes off the body)

• The lens was checked for ‘focus and sharpness’. The corners, especially the top left & right appear somewhat soft although maybe no worse than before - I suspect ‘within tolerances’, but not too impressive for what’s meant to be a flagship L lens.

All in all pretty poor show; I'm amazed that they can supposedly clean a sensor & send it back much worse than it was before. A relatively small repair to a filter thread has turned into a nightmare.

After a few hours now, I'm still pretty pissed off. If they don't sort this out to my satisfaction I'm not sure what I'll do but after using Canon gear for 25 years + I don't see why I should anymore. Well done Canon
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Re: Canon Repair Centre - what a joke!

I know that it is a pain but you should send your equipment back stating you are not satisfied and give them the reasons why.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      I know that it is a pain but you should send your equipment back stating you are not satisfied and give them the reasons why.
      Totally agree

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

For the sensor, clean it yourself;
        Dustcan + Visible Dust swabs (http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=200), it's what a Canon technician does anyway!

Comment

Thanks chaps; I've sent them a snotty email yesterday but not had a reply yet. I'm even a CPS member but think all that entitles you to is a slightly less slow but still crap repair service ;)

I'm usually happy to clean a sensor myself but was particularly miffed that it was perfectly clean before I sent it to Canon so I shall keep returning it to them until they get it right.

I will consider my options once this sag is over though; I do not like to support companies who have poor customer service.
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Might be an idea to copy your e-mail to Canon UK and CPS

John

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
              Might be an idea to copy your e-mail to Canon UK and CPS

John
              Good idea John; I've copied to CPS but can't find an email address for Canon UK - a quick google shows that no-one else has managed to find one either...
              Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                Good idea John; I've copied to CPS but can't find an email address for Canon UK - a quick google shows that no-one else has managed to find one either...
                Why cannot you copy and paste the text of your snottygram into the "information about your problem" box on the email contact form on the canon.uk website?

John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Which repair centre did you send it to ,they do tend to vary in service quality

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    Which repair centre did you send it to ,they do tend to vary in service quality
                    Sent to the official Canon Centre at Elstree.
                    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

That is not good as there supposed to be the best ,I would go off like a bottle of pop

Comment

It also to me sounds like your fall may have dislodged dust etc that was previously dormant within the body .first off raid them at canon ,ask to speak to a supervisor or duty manager ,explain why your not happy with a service you have PAID for .see what they say then go from there ,do keep us informed as well

Comment

It`s not the first time I heard of filthy sensors coming back from Canon repair services . Hope you get it sorted , must be very frustrating .

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
                            I recently had need to send my EF24-70 F.28 lens in for repair - see here: http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...07-Lens-repair and was also told to send in my EOS 6D body.

Got a quote back for £169 which included a clean & service of the body too which I declined as the sensor was spotlessly clean & I've heard rumours of cameras sent in for sensor cleans coming back no different or worse.

Despite this, Canon still went ahead and 'cleaned' the body & sensor but after a quick call waived the payment so I only paid for the lens repair. So far so good...

So, got camera + lens back today, filter thread replaced, looking good. Then took a few test photos and....

• Although the sensor was ’cleaned’ it now is appallingly dirty – each time I take a picture there are different marks on it – sometimes spots (not sure if these are dust or oil spots) but sometimes long oblong marks which are much bigger; not hairs but perhaps some kind of fibres. Perhaps they used a duster

> I've had that too, although they do have an automated testing system that is supposed to measure the dust content. I do wonder (if you had it couriered back) if some of it is just stuff dislodged in transit.

• There are also some specks of dust within the viewfinder that I’m sure were not there before I sent it in.

> Probably inside the mirror box at the top and can just be blown off with a Giottos Rocket Air

• As to the EF24-70 lens, the filter thread has been replaced but there are now several (5+) specks of dust within the lens itself that were not there before sent in either (It’s only a year or so old & never comes off the body)

> Any lens will gain some dust over time, the good news is it has no effect on the images.

• The lens was checked for ‘focus and sharpness’. The corners, especially the top left & right appear somewhat soft although maybe no worse than before - I suspect ‘within tolerances’, but not too impressive for what’s meant to be a flagship L lens.

All in all pretty poor show; I'm amazed that they can supposedly clean a sensor & send it back much worse than it was before. A relatively small repair to a filter thread has turned into a nightmare.

After a few hours now, I'm still pretty pissed off. If they don't sort this out to my satisfaction I'm not sure what I'll do but after using Canon gear for 25 years + I don't see why I should anymore. Well done Canon
                            Maybe you could try Fixation next time? Also the repair cost seemed pretty cheap compared to some. I had my RX100 come back from Sony with a bit of crap on the sensor you could have seen from the next room (really). Plus with a fixed lens it's not like I could clean it myself... Grass is greener, not...

Comment

It's back with Canon now so we'll see what they say/do. If no better on return I guess I'll try blowing out the dust myself. I guess I was more annoyed that they'd introduced dirt that wasn't there before despite me specifically asking them not to 'clean' the body/sensor.

Take your point about the dust within the lens - I'd probably not checked it since purchased about 18 months ago.

Will report back on progress ;)
                              Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

Working...
                              X