Canon Repair Centre - what a joke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon Repair Centre - what a joke!

I took my 600D and my 5D 3 to Colchester camera repair and they were both repaired to my satisfaction, highly recommended

Comment

A final update:

Body + lens were returned to the service centre & have now been returned to me; the accompanying report states: EOS 6D Body: “Cleaned sensor, viewfinder to standard and checked” EF 24-70 F2.8L MKII Lens: Cleaned lens unit, calibrated lens focus to standard”

Having inspected both body & lens and carried out some testing, the lens at least appears to have been cleaned internally – at least I don’t seem to see the dust in it now.

As to the camera body, the viewfinder has less dust showing than it did when first returned from the Service Centre but still more that before sent in originally. The sensor itself is also cleaner than when returned from the Service centre but still has more dust on it than it did before I sent it in.

In conclusion, it seems to me that dust was introduced in to the camera body at the Service Centre so the camera is still in worse condition than before I sent it in to Canon. This is made all the more frustrating as I’d specifically asked for it NOT to be cleaned. No doubt the cleaning is ‘to standard’ which I presume means ‘within parameters’ so I don’t think worth returning yet again.

Ultimately it looks like I’ll just have to put up with the dirt inside the camera and remove spots in post-processing when required or blow out the dust as required myself.
      Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Take lens off hold camera above your head ,give several puffs with a strong rocket blower in the direction of the mirror and prism then re.attach lens quickly and give two or three activations of clean now ,that should remove any viewfinder dust .if it's on the sensor then do a wet clean yourself at least you'll know it's done properly

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          Take lens off hold camera above your head ,give several puffs with a strong rocket blower in the direction of the mirror and prism then re.attach lens quickly and give two or three activations of clean now ,that should remove any viewfinder dust .if it's on the sensor then do a wet clean yourself at least you'll know it's done properly
          Good advice, will do :)
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Just re read my post ,the clean now should dislodge any dust that found its way to the sensor is what I meant.

Comment

This is disgraceful coming from the Canon main repair centre. One should expect prima donna service from Canon. Perhaps Robert can have a word as this sort of poor service denigrades the name CANON apart from anything else.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Rest assured nat Nikon is far worse

Comment

Jeff,thats not a good enough reason for Canon to follow the Nikon route! I can't understand what has happened with the Elstree centre; a few years ago I sent my then Canon 580 speedlite for repair and it was returned to like new!!!
                  Last edited by Nathaniel; 19-10-2016, 22:06.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks for your concern Nat, but I think I've just been unlucky & as Jeff pointed out, it happens with other manufacturers too. I'm not sure it's something Robert would want or be able to get involved with as I don't think EOS magazine are in any way affiliated with Canon ;)

I just may need to make more use of my Giottos blower brush for the time being!
                    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

If you don't feel EOS Magazine is an appropriate channel, then write to one of the other magazines. Many years ago I was having a support problem with a major multi-national and getting nowhere. Finally I wrote to the leading trade magazine asking "how hard do I have to kick the dinosaur tail before the pain message reaches the brain?" The magazine had a path into the company and forwarded my letter asking for comment. Within a matter of days their development team was on the phone from America for around six hours straight and resolved the issue.

PhotoPlus might be interested - they claim to be 100% Canon and totally independent ...

Comment

LesC2009 - I came across your experience with Canon Support/Repair services this morning while searching for another topic. As I read, I found myself incredibly surprised. I've used such services in the US a few times and, to be sure, I nearly always was extremely satisfied with the quality of work. Sometimes, a little more than I wanted to pay, but satisfied nonetheless. The introduction of dust into the body is probably the most surprising aspect of your experience. I wouldn't expect that Canon repair would use "clean rooms," but dust laden, there's no excuse for that. And, the wording on your return invoices/services rendered reads like your camera was treated like any other in the queue. I like you, am hopeful that this is an anomaly and not indicative of future experiences. As for those who suggest going to an independent shop, I consider that even more risky than using Canon. Best of luck in the future!

Comment

You could try a strongly worded letter to the MD of Canon (UK) Ltd. with the threat of copies of the letter being sent to various magazines. The info. on who this is, together with the full address of the company, is available from Companies House website.
                          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Often works, had poor service at Audi and drove my car home after a service unaware the dipstick tube had broken off, i dared not drive it and they wouldn't collect it.... Dealers are franchises so contacted Audi uk re the piss poor service, Audi dealership was on phone shortly afterwards and a low loader collected my car and they sorted it, muppets examined it with the lower tray off as I stood there and said it appears to have an oil leak, I said yes, about the amount it would blow out of the dipstick hole on the home journey I took which proved they had done it.. Words failed me but they fixed it at no cost.
                            Last edited by TonyT; 02-08-2018, 17:34.
                            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                            X