In-Camera Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In-Camera Photography

Based on the Discussion in the thread My Opinion might I suggest that we add a section in the forum for those who want to take better in camera photos so they have a place to post their in-camera jpegs so that there can be a discussion on how to better improve our in camera results

The rules for posting would be to provide the all the setting that you used for that image including the metering that was used for the image.

The reason in proposing this is that if they post in the our normal sections there would be that desire to tell them how to better the image using post processing instead of how to improve the picture in-camera.

Thoughts comments

Tom

Re: In-Camera Photography

What can we tell them beyond what our own camera set up's are? Also are we talking about what picture style settings we use or are we potentially looking at in camera post-processing such as HDR and multiple exposure and other jiggery pokery - including these photo filter things like sepia and toy camera etc.? I imagine most of these, as with the scene modes, offer little if any scope for customisation - the whole point being to automate as much of the process into a one click operation as possible.

Aside from this we already get plenty of questions from members asking for advice on how to set up their cameras for this, that or the other purpose - what you are proposing doesn't seem any different as I read it...

On a personal note I really doubt the concept of post-processing in camera - it's tricky enough on a decent monitor in controlled lighting conditions, I hate to think how hard it must be on a tiny 3 inch screen in a bus shelter on a wet Sunday afternoon...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

got to agree with nigel to a large degree ,take most canon dslr's these days the suggestion is fine IF your using your camera straight out of the box and in green box auto mode ,but once you enter the j.peg menu set up and alter a few parameters as to how you want the j.peg to appear everyones requirements will differ .
      personally i know how i want my finished pics in (raw) to look so i set up my j.peg on screen settings to emulate that as closely as possible ,knowing that my camera screen j.peg and my viewable lightroom j.peg thumbnail will look somewhere near the end result .this gives a basis to finalise the photo from/to .
      my own view on the previous discussions are that photography is a art form everyone will perceive the finished result differently its just a matter of doing your own pablo picasso thing with each image to your own tastes ,no amount of critique will alter how you yourself view a photo .

Comment

In broad terms I would support Tom's suggestion, a section who are specifically looking for comments on in camera advice. Perhaps mirrored by a specific section for people who are looking for PP advice... The other sections can be agnostic as to approach since both are perfectly valid approaches (see Robert on the My Opinion thread!)

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Working...
        X