• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge nš 122- Red

Slightly on the way out, but still just about photogenic:

Acer leaf
    by AlexR!, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Reds, A young stag holding on to his doe's before the rutting season begins

Red by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
      Last edited by TonyT; 11-10-2016, 01:37.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I didn't think I would be able to put anything for this challenge since I have not been a totally well fellow for the last few weeks. This is all I have, from our holiday in Spain - seen outside a knick-knack shop on Tabarca (and taken with an EOS M3!)

Tabarca Lighthouse by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Any more RED snappers out there?

Challenge is closing on Sunday night
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Not sure if this image meets the criteria but here go's. I took this a couple of weeks ago from my window, and shortly after the heavens opened up.

John

Comment

Any colour as long as it's red.

Canon EOS-1D X, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM + 1.4x
              1/250, f/4.5, iso 200, 150mm

.DAVID.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Red Peppers by Garry Macdonald, on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Hi everyone and here are my musings and winners.

Tomatoes (Chris) Great idea and I love how the group of tomatoes form their own patterns with the spaces in between and the light on the fruit. I wonder if dropping the exposure down a tad would have revealed more detail in the skin - it takes the viewer a moment to work out that they are tomatoes and not, for instance, red snooker balls. Would a bit of basil or the occasional stalk have added to the composition?

Red Sky (Clive) Always happy to see a dramatic sky and this looks to have been a corker. The foreground is important in these shots and you might have been better to have had a slightly deeper silhouetted base and possibly moved slightly left or right to see if that tall tree looked better anywhere but dead centre. Then personally I’d have got more adventurous in post processing by boosting the blues and reds- if you’ve got it flaunt it!

Red in the Breeze (David) Neat idea with the flag and the red bush behind, and the top of the fence going towards the flag emphasises the point. But the bottom line is that the subject itself isn’t memorable enough, I’m afraid.

Order of St Asaph (Nat) I like the composition here and my eye goes smoothly into the picture from the right, across the front row & back via the rear of the church. I might have been tempted here to boost those reds slightly, for more impact

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Peter) It’s hard not to be drawn to this image that is a classic odd number, classic composition and water sprayed for a bit more interest. It’s almost a cliché which is why I’m wondering “what if……………..one fell off the stone, or one was out of line?”

Barber’s mannequin (Lee) Great subject for popping. Love the fortuitous lights, and the string on his hat, both leading back to his face. I wonder if cropping just above his tray (since you’ve cut off some tray and his right hand) might bring more emphasis to the bloodied lips. I like this but it's a pity there wasn't more blood on his lips to emphasise the theme of the challenge.

Red Blues/Jazz Guitar-Man (Tom) Ah yes, another classic subject for popping and it is nicely composed and executed. In order to escape that messy background (always a problem at concerts) he should be engaging with me - either singing out or looking at me and because he’s not I’m curiously remote from the image.

DH88Comet (Steve) I’m no aviation tog apart from having a go at the Red Arrows but there’s something appealing about this picture. Bright red, historic subject, props nicely blurred, chassis sharp. Perhaps needs a just a bit more space around it. Perhaps.

Acer Leaf (Alex) Good choice of leaf- the acer shape plus the yellowing ones add interest to the subject- artfully arranged and beautifully subtly lit for the photo. Has the impact to make it stick.

Red (Tony) The buck is a handsome chap and you’ve got him spot on, giving you the eye. His ladies aren’t quite part of the picture, both in terms of composition and where they are looking. However, I suspect if you stayed there all morning and took 300 pics it would be difficult to get all 3 as you would like them. I like the letterbox trim, it cuts off the distracting background and lets me focus in on the splendid buck .

Tabarca Lighthouse (John) Glad you could get something in, John, and hope you are in better health now. Congratulations on being the first M3 entrant! Suspect this is a major crop due to other stuff being in the proximity and it suffers from the lack of space around it. I also have no idea of the size of it which is curiously disquieting. I like the fact that you haven’t gone the obvious way and popped it from the background –you’ve left the colours and the shadows to tell their own tale.

From the window (John27)Almost an abstract feel to this with the horizontal lines bringing the eye down to the lovely yellows just above the skyline. I might have lightened the shadows/blacks a bit to see if I could get any more information from the clouds.

Any colour as long as it’s red (David) Lovely red MGs giving it some welly and I like the arrangement of the cars relative to the camera. Having looked at this lots I have decided that at least 5 lines going towards the right side of the image add to the speed factor but in order to add to this impression it would be cleaner with a bit of decluttering in the background & de-saturating of the bright oranges.

Red Peppers (Garry) A Strong image with the peppers dominating, the stalks taking the eye round to the all- important knife and 3 strong lines in the wood that emphasise the composition. Did SWMBO “borrow” half of one of your props? It adds to the mystery and makes me look twice.

As ever the task of judging is never easy with such a variety of images but I’m going with what sticks with me when I’m gone from the computer and my winners are

1. Alex – Acer. Lovely light, lovely lines. Memorable.

2. Steve C – DH88 comet. I’m no aviation buff but this just works for me.

3. Garry- Red Peppers. A strong composition and worth going back to.

So thanks to all those who entered – some super entries and good to see some new names too.

Congratulations to Alex and over to him to carry on the challenge.
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Well done to the top three, lovely shots so great judging Bo. Thanks for all the feedback too, and look forward to the next challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                      Well done to the top three, lovely shots so great judging Bo. Thanks for all the feedback too, and look forward to the next challenge.
                      I'll second that [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Well done Alex, Steve & Garry

John

Comment

Congratulations Alex for winning the competition. Also great to see Steve and Garry getting second and third places. Great work Bo in judging the competition.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Wow, top three. Wasn't expecting that with such a great turnout and very strong entries! Excellent feed back on each image too Bo, very in depth. Well done Alex, a worthy winner. Looking forward to seeing what you have for us next
                            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Great judging / comments Bo, agree with you regarding my entry - just wanted to get something up before the deadline as missed the last one.

Congrats to the finalist's and a worthy winner in Alex.

.DAVID.
                              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Great completion, great judging and a great image, worthy winner.
                                Gary Cantwell LSINWP. ASINWP.

Comment

Working...
                                X