Rogue safari pop up flash extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogue safari pop up flash extender

Just picked up a useful little accessory it's a rogue safari pop up flash booster ,its for long telephoto lenses and just fits into your flash gun fitting ,only made for canon or Nikon crop cameras ,a useful tool where you need a long distance fill in flash without the hassle and weight of a full size flash gun set up as it only weighs a few ounces .also comes with adaptors to level the height of the flash area .
    I first looked at these when they initially came out but being from the u.s.a they were overpriced ,however I got this from camera king website in London with free postage and next day delivery for the crazy price of Twelve pounds fifty

Re: Rogue safari pop up flash extender

When would you use it jeff? Will it, say, light up a bird hiding in the undergrowth sufficiently to make the photo an OK one? I often find it difficult to photograph little birds that are under trees and shrubs without increasing ISO and then be confronted with noise. The rogue safari pop up might be the answer.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I used it the other day nat at burton mere ,by the picnic bench by the lake .its very powerful and I had to adjust the inbuilt flash exp comp down a lot but it does the job well ,unfortunately there wasn't enough birds about to give a write up with pics ,but they will follow .
      And the answer then to your question is yes it will work nicely after trial and error for what you want and it only weighs two ounces

Comment

Check the website for compatibility before you buy one Nat. It won't work with your 6d for example.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Yep as Jeff said for APS-C only and 6D doesn't have pop up flash
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Nat uses a crop camera for wildlife and I know only to well that weight is a deciding factor for him .so yes it would suit him

Comment

photo from last week .full text in bird section
              the rogue safari by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks folk for your good and timely advice. Much appreciated.I think I will get one for my use with my crop 760D- the one I use for wildlife pics. This has got a pop up flash.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

just a update as not everyone views the birds section ,heres one from yesterday ,i have now fitted a diffuser made from a plastic milk bottle side ,seems to have toned things down very nicely ,the eyes do take on a strange colour at close range but easily fixed with pet red eye reduction in p/s

the little rogue by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Comment

I have just bought one for a trip to Costa Rica, using a 7D2 + 100-400 mk2 combo and haven't had chance to give a good trial yet. What do you reckon the maximum operable distance would be ?
                    John

Comment

I am sure you will find it very useful. So far I have simply placed my white hanky over the Rogue nad it helps. Will re-start my photography soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X