Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RNLI

Now for something completely different!

This is a shot from the bridge of the new large Tamar Class lifeboat on a training exercise. No flash allowed for obvious reasons, so you take what you can get, especially when you are hanging on for dear life and using the camera one handed!

Colin
    Colin

Re: RNLI

Oh boy and not even a seagull in sight !!!
    This sure is different for you Colin, how did you manage to be on the training exercise??

Question....If it is currently the 7th Sept 2010 how come the shot was taken on the 8th Sept 2010... I know you take some magic shots but I think this is even beyond your magical powers.

I really like this as it is so different, the left hand screen showing what is visible out of the window, the colours on the centre and right hand screens, plus the RNLI "mascot" all go to making this shot.

David
    David

Comment

^^^^^^ All what David said...

Question....If it is currently the 7th Sept 2010 how come the shot was taken on the 8th Sept 2010...
      Now that's taking EXIF reading to a whole new level
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Canon-Fodder! View Post
        ^^^^^^ All what David said...

Now that's taking EXIF reading to a whole new level
        YEP !!!!!!
        David

Comment

No flash allowed for obvious reasons
          Don't you mean no flash to stop it bouncing off the screens projecting the outside view in this bridge simulator???

Comment

He, he. Well done Glenn.

I did mention training exercise and you picked up the clues from that and the outside scene. It is one of the most high tech non-military simulators in the world and bouncing around on that stormy sea, we encountered a listing cargo ship on fire, various damaged yachts, cruise ship on the rocks, naval destroyers, submarines and helicopters. We were even submerged and self righted twice!

One hell of a morning!

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Sounds like you had fun. So is the simulator fixed or does it move about?

Comment

It is fixed, but with a full 270deg panoranic view that is moving realistically, you brain tells you it is moving. You really do have to hang on, or be strapped into a seat.

We crashed through a freak wave and were underwater ................ twice! It happened so quickly and realistically, that there was some mild panic as we actually believed we were underwater, until we popped out the other side of the wave.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

lol, excellent

Comment

Great shot and lovely detail, did you get to try out their big pool ?

Comment

Not personally, but I took some shots of those that did.

I was told that, for health & safety reasons, I had to stay behind a marked line: "You are joking? With hundreds of fully trained RNLI people just hanging about waiting to save lives, this is the best place on the whole planet to fall in the water!"

As many of you are aware, I am a great fan of strict adherance to Health and Safety ........................ NOT!

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post

As many of you are aware, I am a great fan of strict adherance to Health and Safety ........................ NOT!

Colin

I had some person try to tell me to stop climbing a tree (for a shot over a crowd). I politely informed hom that I had been climbing trees for 60 years and I had no intention of stopping now
                        ef-r

Comment

Computers often get it wrong. I was issued with a speed ticket a few years ago at a time and place, when I was actually in church. The police and the mobile PC cameraman were given a fearful telling off,and the press went to town on this story!! So don't blame Brian for computer error!!!!!! Eternal vigilence is the passport for a quiet life BUT as we get older,it becomes difficult!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                          X