Geared head advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geared head advice

I need some opinions on geared tripod heads, I've got a ball head at the moment but I find it a bit of a faff at times, panning is faultless but micro adjustments a bit of a pain with a larger zoom lens, I've been on youtube and the Manfrotto 410 junior seems to be a bit of a good item, any opinions would be great, I do have a budget of £150 max, so over to you guys please.

sean.

Re: Geared head advice

I only bought mine recently but am very happy with it, Takes a bit of getting used to, but with practice it becomes second nature as to the order of things. Holds 80D with Sigma 150 - 600 very steady so should hold anything, unlike ball and sockets which seem to droop and which I can never get level. The two ways of moving the head are great, quick release that enables you to get it more or less correct, then the fine adjustments to be absolutely precise. A bit heavy but not much more than other quality heads. Only annoyance is that the quick release plate is a Manfrotto special rather than standard such as Swiss Arca. If you enjoy precision kit, this is a pleasure to use.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I've had a 410 geared head for quite a few years. The head does what is required and does it well, I agree it is heave but geared heads are.
      One thing that I found was that if you are using the head with the camera in portrait mode (for panorama work) the camera overhangs the centre of the tripod i.e. to the side of the it!.

However I have modified mine to overcome this issue. The modification also overcomes the Quick Release issue that Richard makes reference to in #2 above.

The modification which I think I've mentioned somewhere on the forum previously, is two part. Part one is to modify the tripod quick release using one of these LINK there's an explanation on that link which describes the reason why the modification plate was created.

Part two modification being the fitting of an L-Bracket to my camera, you could of course just use a single Arrca Swiss quick release plate but the use of an L Bracket makes it just so easy to change from a horizontal to landscape framing. This L-bracket link may be useful to see the benefit of using an L-Bracket rather than a QR plate LINK

Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated for your help and advice, it's my 51st birthday next week so I can tell my misses what she can buy me lol, I'll have to manage with just the head for the time being, if I tell her I need an L bracket too there could be a divorce in the post lol.

Sean.

Comment

Well I bought the head and it's fantastic, so much easier to use than my old ball head, fair bit heavier but hey ho I'm a big strong boy, used it yesterday at Padley Gorge in Derbyshire, thanks again guys.

Sean.

Comment

Working...
          X