Extender use problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extender use problems

I have been having focusing problems when I use my times 2 extender with my 70 - 200 mm f2.8 L lens. Occasionally the camera (5D Mark III) refuses to focus (on autofocus) I switch the camera off and on again and this seems to correct the problem. However, I took about 200 shots of Grizzly bears recently (at f5.6 to try and keep the ISO down) and not one of the pictures is sharp. I have read a review of the new 5D mark IV where it mentions that problems with extender use have been addressed. i have since cleaned the contacts and have not yet tried the combination again, but is there a more significant problem? I didn't have problems initially.

Re: Extender use problems

Although I have the X2 I do not use it that often as I use the 1.4 on my 1DX, the autofocus does significantly slow down when using them, on my 1DX when I use the 1.4 on my 500MM I adjusted the micro adjustment in the menu, have you tried that? focus it on a brick wall or similar, take a shot, zoom it and look at it, if not sharp, adjust and retry, the camera will remember the setting for the lens plus the adaptor, and only set the adjustment you have done when using that particular set up.

Often refusing to focus can be caused by a lack of detail on which it is trying to focus, I have suffered that before with water and also on smooth building structures, have you tried moving it off the area and seeing if it focuses on areas of contrasting detail? you will (as I do) simply have the central focal point with the 2X so the problem will be more pronounced as it is attempting to focus on a small area.

Welcome to the forum BTW, that has to be a record, joined in 2008 and first post in 2016!
    Last edited by TonyT; 26-10-2016, 14:30.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Re: Extender use problems

I use a x2 mkIII on a 400mm with a 5DmkIII attached for cricket with great success/ like Tony mentions i did have to micro adjust it slightly to get it pin sharp (-8 i think).

Paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
      X