Error 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 01

My EOS 7D MkII with an EF-S 17-85mm lens came out of my camera bag yesterday morning in preparation for some church photography. Switched GPS to enable, and framed the 1st shot - failed, and screen showed "Err 01 Communication between camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens Contacts". I did vaguely clean them, no good, another go and eventually it worked again, but not for long. Changed lens and all was well. Came home, a serious clean fine brush and a slight meths wipe. Failed again, but then worked fine for some useless indoor snaps for a long time. This morning it failed again ..... - and so it goes on. The camera and all other lenses are fine, it is just the 17/85 lens I'm sure. Canon help desk sympathized but suggested a week observing performance before sending for repair.
    Could not get hold of Nina Bailey yesterday, so thought of this forum, and blow me I seem to be the first to mention "Err 01" as a search fails to find it! I'm honoured!
    Has anyone had this problem? If so any answers? If I will have to send for repair it would be to Lehmann at Stoke-on-Trent as I have had experience of their work before.
    Shall look forward to some responses.
    Regards
    Myrddin Jones

Re: Error 01

Canon support site for 7D MkII with Err 01 basically says "clean contacts carefully, if problem continues then camera needs to be sent for repair."

Comment

Thanks to ENIGMA for response, but as I said the fault only happens with one lens. Camera behaves perfectly with 3 other lenses. To my ? logical mind that must mean lens fault.

Comment

The problem MIGHT be the lens, but all you can say for certain is that it is the combination of body plus lens. Do you have any access to another body you could try the lens on?

(I'm surprised that Canon support site only says the body needs to be returned - I would have expected them to request both body and lens.)

Comment

Hi Myrddin, think you will find its a lens error. You will find posts about Err 01 but they go back a long way! My 17-85 gave up a few years back and regrettably it was cheaper (well better value) to replace it. As I recall other members had had similar problems with the same lens and replaced theirs also rather than have them repaired.
          Andrew

Comment

Been a few threads about ERROR 01 and the 17-85 and my wife and I have had 3 lenses go the same way. On the first occasion I got one repaired at a cost of over £100 but it subsequently went wrong again and both our lenses have now been replaced with me, 24-105 and Dee, a 15-85.
            So not worth considering a repair much better just to chuck it and replace with something else

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

as others have said unfortunately a common fault on those lenses ,with repair costs these days it often becomes cheaper to sell them spares or repairs and that yourself to a new one

Comment

Think its usually the ribbon cable that needs replacing

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Comment

My 24-105mm has been back to Canon a couple of times with this fault. As Steve says, it‘s a problem with the ribbon cable. It might be something different on yours of course.

Emyr

Comment

Whatever the problem turns out to be, the repair cost is going to be more than the lens is worth
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

If you are feeling brave you can buy the ribbon cable and DIY there is a good video on YouTube on how to do it. If the lens is too expensive to get repaired it is an option worth considering.
                      --
                      Colin
                      http://fotos-espana.com
                      http://macameraclub.com
                      http://turnspain.com

Comment

Does the lens manual focus work right?
                        I once had a stupid situation where in P mode the flash could not pop out because of a sticker on the top of the camera and that caused en error too.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. ENIGMA - no I have no easy access to another camera, all acquaintances seem to be on compacts or telephones!
                          Due to my age, I'm not sure what to do, but if I do replace then the EF-S 18-135mm is on Amazon for £405 with £100 cash back. Some very special conditions for that! Not surprised.
                          As regards the ERR 01, I'm surprised that it has occured for some of you, but never got the Forum! Interesting. And I think CANON are not producing my failed lens any longer.
                          So its new ribbon or new or nothing. Will let you know.
                          Regards and thanks
                          Myrddin Jones

Comment

Would check the Canon / Amazon offer carefully before buying - the dates don't quite seem to match as Canon look to be saying purchase must be by 18OCT but Amazon look to be saying purchase between 19OCT / 18JAN even though further down on their page they quote the 18OCT deadline ...

Comment

Thanks ENIGMA, I had missed those dates.

Comment

Working...
                              X