Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using a hiking rucksack with an insert as their camera bag ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using a hiking rucksack with an insert as their camera bag ?

I'm looking for a lighter alternative to my Lowepro Nature Trekker and wondered if anyone was using alternatives to the usual camera bag manufacturer products.

I've seen both Osprey and Deuter packs which are a lot lighter and the mesh backs of these appeal to create the airflow for summer use and thought about buying an insert for my camera gear.. I wondered if anyone here was doing just that ?

I'm looking to carry a 40D (to be replaced by a 7D II), 70/200 f4, Tamron 17/50, Canon 10/22 plus the usual cards batteries etc.

Ideally I would like to have room for snacks and say a lightweight jacket as well. I don't need tripod straps or room for an laptop etc.

Any thoughts or feedback appreciated

Re: Anyone using a hiking rucksack with an insert as their camera bag ?

I have a backup bag from e.bay that I use .its one of the Chinese camera bags but looks like a rucksack very light yet takes a enormous amount of gear including my 150 - 600 sigma sports lens ,the protection value is limited but it does the job and cost circa £20 I will try to find a link later

ah here ya go its this one ,far better than the price point .light as a feather to
    Last edited by the black fox; 06-11-2016, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
      I have a backup bag from e.bay that I use .its one of the Chinese camera bags but looks like a rucksack very light yet takes a enormous amount of gear including my 150 - 600 sigma sports lens ,the protection value is limited but it does the job and cost circa £20 I will try to find a link later

ah here ya go its this one ,far better than the price point .light as a feather to
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Large-...AAAOSwmfhX76K6
      Thanks for that. How comfortable is it for all day use and can you fit any non photo extras in such as your lunch, jumper etc. I couldn't quite tell from the photos on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Large-...AAAOSwmfhX76K6

Comment

I sort of already do what you are after. My kit just about fits into a Lowepro Nova 180 AW bag (though I accept it wouldn't take your 70-200), and this fits in the bottom of my bog-standard rucksack. If I think I'm going to be delving in there changing lenses etc a lot I leave the lid open inside. Yes, it means rummaging past all my other stuff, but if this gets really painful I can just pull out the whole bag for a period.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I took it on holiday to Greece recently and it takes a fair bit of stuff ,depend what you want to put in it really for instance one of my jumpers might equal three of yours ,they are a very comfortable bag though that's for sure with tons of adjustment ,I'm 6'1" and very heavily built I.e a 50 inch plus chest .the choice is yours

Comment

I took it on holiday to Greece recently and it takes a fair bit of stuff ,depend what you want to put in it really for instance one of my jumpers might equal three of yours ,they are a very comfortable bag though that's for sure with tons of adjustment ,I'm 6'1" and very heavily built I.e a 50 inch plus chest .the choice is yours
            Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, much appreciated [emoji106]

Comment

I don't use one as my main camera bag but if I do a big hike or go overnight I use an F Stop insert (I think they call them ICU's) in one of my rucksacks. As with all things it's a bit of a compromise and not as accessible as a camera bag but much better than any other way I've found when you also have to carry walking/camping kit as opposed to mainly camera stuff and a snack. The F Stop insert is well made and they come in lots of different sizes.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
              X