Re: 'Coping' With Loved Ones Who Don't Love Photography

lucky mine can't handle the sigma sport stan LOL
      nor can mine
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I guess that I'm lucky too, as my wife is quite happy to go out on a 'photo walk', as long as there is something worth looking at.

She has no interest in photography, but does enjoy looking at my images. We have even framed some, and have them hanging on walls.

I did once take her to a local nature reserve, to 'shoot' some Kingfishers, but after two hours sitting in a hide, without seeing a Kingfisher, she was completely bored. (Lol).

I never did take her there again (lol)

After 53 years of marriage, she has gotten used to being married to 'Mr Hobby', as I've had a few:

Radio amateur since 1968, fishing, golf, scuba diving, racing sailing dinghies, astro imaging, and of course photography.

I now only pursue photography, and amateur radio. The latter on a 'take it or leave it' basis, as the hobby has gone seriously down hill in recent years, because of the relaxation of the requirements for getting a licence.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

I'm lucky in that my wife has always taken an active interest I'm my photography despite not being a photographer herself.
          I remember well going into a shop to find a large tripod to use in Iceland to photograph aurora. The man in the shop asked what criteria I was going to use to choose which tripod out of their vast selection - I replied " the largest and most stiff tripod that my wife could carry uphill for a couple of miles". He thought I was joking but when my wife picked out one and said " I think this is the maximum I could carry any distance" he realised I wasn't having him on !
          James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          James Boardman Woodend
          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

My (almost) ex wife really didn't like it and my daughters were embarrassed whenever I carried a camera - a legacy of not having had a decent camera for a number of years when they were young (which I regret). My new partner thoroughly enjoys photography, both sides of the camera. Only trouble is that she is now a Sony carrier (for the weight!) It makes it all MUCH, MUCH easier and less stressful (having a partner who is a photographer, not the Sony stuff!!!).
            Last edited by rcarca; 08-11-2016, 12:35.
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I am pleased to say that SWMBO is also keen on photography, although (for weight and size reasons) she has gone down the Lumix route. The only drawback is having to be polite and hang back until she has finished her shots before I can make my own attempts at a promising scene. I keep telling her its a case of me respecting the old guidance of age before beauty, but she says it's more like pearls before swine.
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

If you are lucky you bump into another photographer who's wife is also looking bored and the wife's talk - they seem to enjoy that :-)
                It happens if I get the chance :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveG001 View Post
                  If you are lucky you bump into another photographer who's wife is also looking bored and the wife's talk - they seem to enjoy that :-)
                  It happens if I get the chance :-)
                  I understand what you mean. Happiness to me is our dog meeting, then wanting to play with, another dog - that usually buys me a few minutes. The real problem comes (usually on holiday, abroad) when the mutt isn't with us.

Comment

Tell her you will take her to the pub for lunch, I am sure you can get her a part time job tending bar or serving meals while you crack on taking photos
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Picture if you will, SWMBO and I on display line centre at Boscombe Down during RIAT 92. Absolutely beautiful day with perfect flying and photographic conditions. XH558 lines up, pilot spools up and holds for a moment. Brakes off, she rolls, iconic howl announcing her approach, I follow her framed in the viewfinder just waiting for rotation. Speed builds, nose rises, exactly in front of us she leaves the runway with all the power, noise and vibration so symbolic of the Vulcan. I follow her climb and first bank before turning to SWMBO ...

.. who has only chuffing well fallen sound asleep and missed the lot! A tog who had shared the moment with me glanced at SWMBO before giving me a silent sympathetic look which empathised with my total disbelief that anyone could actually sleep through a Vulcan taking off about 100m away ...

It was at that point I realised that perhaps not every pleasure in life would be a shared one with SWMBO and thus it has been ever since that the landscape trail has only left one pair of footprints ... and, if that was not pain enough, last year marked XH558's final touchdown ...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                        ... and, if that was not pain enough, last year marked XH558's final touchdown ...
                        I feel your pain.
                        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Do not take your wife with you.

Comment

My wife does not share my love of photography so if I am going out with the camera for a serious attempt at getting a good shot I leave her at home. I still take the camera with me when on foamily days out but I feel pressured so don't take my time and rush the shot , which always leaves me feeling gutted.
                            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
                            Facebook
                            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X