Cover photo for novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover photo for novel

Hi All. I've just been asked by a publisher that one of their authors is after a cover photo for a novel they have written. Is it fair or expected that I ask for a fee and what would the reasonable amount be? Would it be a one off fee for the one photo or a fee that would reflect the print run?

It's nice that I've been asked and would be great to see my photo on a book cover but I'm broke and a little cash would be nice as well as recognition.

Thanks for any advice

Re: Cover photo for novel

I've just been asked by a publisher that one of their authors is after a cover photo for a novel they have written. Is it fair or expected that I ask for a fee and what would the reasonable amount be? Would it be a one off fee for the one photo or a fee that would reflect the print run?
    Yes is not only fair that you ask for a fee, it's the right thing to do. I sell a few images through Alamy, and would expect a minimum £150 for a book cover, more for a large print run.

You need to be sure that if you have people in your image, or any property (a building, a bottle of Coke, a bar interior, etc.) you have the appropriate property/model releases. If it's a person, it's really down to you to get the release, if it's property, you might be able to persuade the publisher to obtain the release for their usage.

You also need to draft terms of sale which include things like retention of copyright, non-exclusivity (unless they're prepared to pay more), fees for additional print runs, and of course releases.

Hope you manage to get it sorted & well done on your first (potential) commission.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Congratulations... Too right you should expect a fee... unless the author and publisher aren't taking any money!

£500 minimum!!!

Good luck

Richard
      Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I have posted this link before. It's the NUJ site giving their suggested charges.

Emyr

Comment

Do not under any circumstances give your work away for free,as the others said it depends on what type of book it is and what sort of print run is expected,depending on those criteria a fee of between £100 to £500 should suit,plus a copy of the book .
          I sold a pic of a sunset for a Japanese c.d cover /insert and got around £100 for it ,I could probably have got more . Tell them what you want ,ask I they require a invoice and include either bank details or PayPal details .do not release a full resolution pic till paid

Comment

Thanks for the replies, useful for next time

*long rant warning*

At the moment we are going through the process of having our 2nd book done by a publisher so for some reason I wasn't sure if I should mention anything after the fact but sod it. They have an "imprint" company for self publishing and they had an author that needed a photo for two books. I thought to keep them happy I would give them two photos. Why I did that I've no idea, not having a main job this is my source of income.

I live in an area that’s quite big on supporting small local businesses and people, we have quite a following on social media so will always support, promote and “@” people. When my wife tweeted great photos and they just said thanks without acknowledgements as one does in twitter etiquette, it aroused my suspicions.

After a bit of searching it turns out the author is quite established and had set up his own 'imprint publishing' company to sell the books under and used our publishers side imprint for the typeface and design. So I can’t help being cheesed off at the publishers for casually mentioning it over email and not mentioning licence forms and fees as they must do this on a regular basis (I’m sure they charged a fee for the design and probably sourcing the photos). Of course this is all my own fault I’m just cheesed off at my naivety that everyone would play fair.

I went to the book launch to pick up a copy of the two books and say hello. I think there was a mild thanks for the photos but went distinctly off after the conversation, not sure what I said wrong. Again maybe it’s me expecting too much but as there were a number of PR companies and businesses he thanked, I thought one might go my way. Nope. He chatted to each person as he signed asking them what they wanted him to write, when it came to me he just signed as he looked on to the next person.

I know I am sensitive and shy but I just left somewhat used and discarded. Some appreciation would have been nice.

I’ve been trying to get our 1st book out there and see his books everywhere, it’s just leaving a sour taste in my mouth. He has been donating a small amount to mountain rescue so the only positive way I can look at it is, people do like my photos and I’ve donated my fee as the first £100-£500 of books sales to mountain rescue which is a great cause.
            Last edited by SEP555; 22-11-2016, 18:41.

Comment

I am not being insensitive to your feelings because they are clear from your post - and, for what it's worth, I think you have been badly treated in this instance.

All you can do is write it off as a life lesson and learn from it. I have had similar experiences in my business and even thought of court action against one of my clients but decided to walk away from it. I have hardened my business attitude however and tend to be more commercially focussed these days.

Good luck with your future publishing ventures!

Comment

Working...
              X