Weston super Mare Carnival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weston super Mare Carnival

SWMBO and I went down to the Carnival last night. I had never been to one of these events before and I have to say that the amount of effort, money and enthusiasm that goes into the major floats (or carts as I believe they are known locally) is absolutely amazing. The largest are 3 units long, a tug unit at the front, a middle trailer and the final one carries the generator for all the lights.

Masqueraders 1 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Masqueraders 2 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Ramblers by John Liddle, on Flickr

Marketeers 1 by John Liddle, on Flickr

Marketeers 2 by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Weston super Mare Carnival

A great set John that shows just how much work goes into the floats, sorry, 'carts'. I especially like the third and last images It also shows how capable the M3 is

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Wow, John, they are some 'carts'. And you've achieved great images in difficult conditions (dark, bright lights, moving subjects, lots of background people and street furniture etc). Excellent job, sir.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
        Wow, John, they are some 'carts'. And you've achieved great images in difficult conditions (dark, bright lights, moving subjects, lots of background people and street furniture etc). Excellent job, sir.
        Not only what Alex said, bin to took these using you M3 which is a great testament for that camera. Well done John

Tom

Comment

Great series John those floats must have taken some work to create. You and you M3 have done them proud[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

That's a nice set, well framed and exposed.

Herself and myself went to the Highbridge and Burnham leg of the carnival. Well worth watching and some serious work went into those carts.

Getting halfway decent shots is a real piece of work though isn't it. Not only do you need to find a place where someone won't be sticking a phone in front of your shot but you can really benefit from using a mirrorless, unless you've followed the whole tour and got loads of practice I took my 7D2 and Sony RX100 and none of the shots I ended up processing can be posted here. The variation between light and dark and between each cart is massive and really hard to read.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

John, Alex, Tom, Peter & Andy - thank you for looking and for your encouraging comments.

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
              Getting halfway decent shots is a real piece of work though isn't it....Not only do you need to find a place where someone won't be sticking a phone in front of your shot.......The variation between light and dark and between each cart is massive and really hard to read.
              I thoroughly enjoyed the evening (despite the chilly wind) and I am pleased with (some of) the results - there are a good number where the problems highlighted by Andy have made the result less than pleasing, but Hey, there's always next year!
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
              X