First moon attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First moon attempt

With tonight's supermoon set to be almost completely obscured by clouds, I thought I'd have a go last night as it was mainly clear. Here is my first attempt, which I'm not 100% happy with; it seems quite soft to me. This may have been due to any number of reasons, including conditions and some light pollution, but it's most likely going to be my technique and the settings I've used. I was using the tripod (another first for me!) with IS off and used the self timer.

Any comments and/or advice on how to improve would be gratefully received and I'll have another go when the skies are clear again later in the week. Note that I've deliberately left it as quite a large jpeg for now and the uncropped version is also there.

First attempt at the moon (cropped) by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: First moon attempt

Pretty much what I got last night

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep that`s what I saw here too. Not looking good for tonight though. You did a good job with it being your first, if it does clear up tonight I will put it on full manual, 100iso and f/8.

Comment

Would recommend using manual focus, live view and magnify to ensure focus is best. That is if you haven't already done so.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks guys. I did try some manual focus shots but they were even worse - although I think that might be due to my eyesight. I didn't try live view and even if I had, I probably wouldn't have thought to magnify it to help out (I really haven't used live view a lot) so that's another good thing to try.

I think I also need to try again with some different aperture settings which might yield better results but as ever, it appears the old mantra of "practice, practice, practice" fits very well here.

Anyway, all food for thought so thanks again.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Trouble is, with last night's moon, you could have practised all night and gotten nowhere... I tried every conceivable option and they were all the same... No definition, it was really hazy... going to be cloudy tonight 👎

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

It seemed to be perfectly clear at times when I was out, but I suppose there only has to be a little haze around for it to have an impact on the shots. Hey ho. And it looks like it's going to be a while before we get a truly clear night, here in the south east anyways.
              Chris

Comment

I agree - sorry, only just had time to reply to this - but I think it is the haze. It does not need much to throw sharpness off, and recently despite sunny weather there is quite a lot of haze around. I got a sharp picture (almost as good as supergeeman's 600mm +1.4x) using an EF100-400 Mk I+2x III but 2 years ago. Not matched since, despite a few attempts, and a direct old/new EF100-400 comparison the other day gave almost identical results, both similar to yours, Chris. Focussing however is very tricky. I use the IS when focussing manually - it helps to smooth out a few wobbles, then turn off to take the photo. I also use a remote switch and Live View or at least mirror up.

Comment

Oops- that should have been Glenn.B's 600mm. Supergeeman was last commenter!

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I had another go on Saturday with different settings and will post the result in a new thread.
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X