Attempted moon last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempted moon last night

I had a go at taking the moon last night due to being relatively clear. Taken at about 4.30pm as the moon was just rising. Taken down on the beach with tide in. Not brilliant but was a first attempt with the idea of having a go tonight but thats not going too happen now due to cloud cover.

Sue

Supermoon with Cloud Traces 2016_11.13 IMG by Sue, on Flickr

Supermoon 2016_11.13 IMG_2307 by Sue, on Flickr

Supermoon 2016.11.13 IMG_2303 by Sue, on Flickr

Re: Attempted moon last night

Hi Sue, rather like the second one with the reflection in the water. The moon in this is sharper than in the first. Using MF for these should be better as AF will likely hunt and not get it quite right.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

You picked the right night for it, I went down the beach this afternoon but the cloud was too thick and it didn't happen

The first looks a little soft - you have to remember that the moon moves quite fast so a much faster shutter speed than 1/8 is required. Had I been successful this evening I would have been looking for at least 1/320
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

None starter here on the edge of the Pennines, we've had low cloud and visibility of couple of hundred meters. So seeing the moon would be amazing.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Good shots, totally love the 2nd shot

Comment

Thanks for that info Stan, very useful indeed. I partly went down last night just simply to have a go because of the clear sky & to prepare a bit for tonight.
            The second one is the one I felt was better. The third one was just after it come up on the horizon so still fairly faint.

We've had thick cloud here but just looked out the window & it can be seen albeit with some cloud. So hoping it will clear a bit more.

Comment

Just looked at last full moon image I took using a 200mm lens on a crop sensor camera. Was taken at 1/250, f8, ISO 100.

Comment

Another vote for the 2nd image

Tom

Comment

Thank you Dave & Tom

Comment

One taken last night of the Waning Gibbous Moon, I did try to act on your help Stan.

Sue

Waning Gibbous Moon 2016_11.15 by Sue, on Flickr

Comment

Sue, I like your moon in colour and the whole series is quite nice esp the second one. A good & successful effort.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

thank you Nat, i'm very much a learner

Sue

Comment

looks like you got the right settings you can even make out the craters around the upper right quadrant
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

I did try to take onboard what you said Stan. I did feel quite pleased with it simply because it was handheld & I used my Kenko 1.4 converter on the F4 70-200 F4 L IS lens. which give me the longest length possible.

Sue

Comment

Really like the last one Sue, nice crater detail

Comment

Working...
                              X