Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance

I'm sorry I've posted this topic here but I couldn't find a section about photographic insurance, I just wondered if anyone could recommend a good insurance company to cover my photographic equipment please.

Thanks.

Sean.

Re: Insurance

The type of insurance you need will depend on your activities. Do you ever earn money from your photography - even from the sale of the occasional image or print? Some home insurance policies will treat this as 'professional' work and might not cover you.

Take a look at the EOS magazine insurance policy and see if this might be suitable.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I have all the photographic kit insured under the house insurance as it covers everything under £1500 without mentioning it explicitly. However there is a limit to the amount of stuff you can claim for at any one time when out and about (which you can set). I haven't ever had to claim, so can't say how well it would work out, but the price is very reasonable. That's with Legal and General.

Comment

Unless you have loads of big expensive lenses and professional cameras and use your kit only for pleasure then cover provided by your home insurer should be adequate. You need to add your equipment as an "All Risks" section with a single article limit, most give £1500 but watch out for restricted cover in respect of theft from a vehicle.

Best to check it out with your individual insurer to confirm what they offer
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

My kit is covered under my home contents insurance, with a single item limit of £2000. Any item in the home that exceeds £2000, has to be specified.

My 5D3 is one such item, and that is specifically listed on the policy.

Dave
          Dave

Comment

I think I'm going have to look into this a bit more as when I'm out and about with all my gear in one back pack and I've got over £3000 of stuff, thanks guys.

Sean.

Comment

I exceed that when I'm out with the gear Sean, but I think you will find that most insurance companies set a limit for single items.

Any single item exceeding that limit, has to be specified, irrespective of the number items.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

with "All Risks" you set a total figure, around the value of all your equipment and have a single article limit within that so you then have no problem with taking lots of stuff out with you provided each item is worth less than the single article limit and of course, if you leave it unattended in the car then there is more restricted cover
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Sorry for the late reply guys, thanks for your advice, i'll get in touch with my insurance company and see what they can do for me.

Sean.

Comment

Just to add you may wish to check the value of your kit following the recent price rises to avoid being under insured

Comment

Just insured all my new camera gear with a company called PHOTOGUARD, only £50 excess and very favorable premiums, I did this separate to my home policy as I dont trust SAGA and will be leaving them in the near future, so I have peace of mind my camera is covered for the sake of less than £30!

Comment

How does the insurance work for used gear for example? I have a used 1dsii body, which cost me £100. Would the replacement value be of a used like for like, or would it be a new equivalent? Just curious
                        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by incpot View Post
                          Just insured all my new camera gear with a company called PHOTOGUARD, only £50 excess and very favorable premiums, I did this separate to my home policy as I dont trust SAGA and will be leaving them in the near future, so I have peace of mind my camera is covered for the sake of less than £30!
                          Checked their costs against insurance on here and not a lot of difference as far as I can see. Covering £2500 (not a lot really) UK plus 20 days worldwide with in car cover is £73/year. Cover from 'our mag' is £65.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Insurance for photographic equipment does seem rather expensive to me, I just today insured my whole house and contents for £130. The "personal items" limit is a bit low for all of my camera gear, but I'm loathe to splash out on specific insurance for it, particularly as I never travel.
                            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

thanks for the post - it has prompted me to own up my financial director (wife) how much stuff I have and add the items that the general limit of our house insurance does not cover :-)
                              cheers
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X