L lens disaster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L lens disaster.

Am currently cruising along the Mekong river between Cambodia and Vietnam and making good use of the 24-105 L. But, this morning the red plastic band around the lens barrel that denotes it as an L lens snapped and fell off. Will this mean that its performance will now only be that of a non-L lens? Should I return it to Canon for repair? Has anyone else suffered the same calamity? Can I find a thin, red rubber band to fit in the groove to restore its L status?
    Help!
    Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: L lens disaster.

You'll probably find its no longer dust proof, has lost 2 stops and the is has stopped working 😄
    Then again... By my own brilliant logic... If I buy a red band......

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.123rf.com/photo_3812729_...ackground.html

Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

OMG what a disaster ,was it due to the actions of the Viet.cong or a fed up wife

Comment

Stay calm, Chris. Drink tea
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

The Royal Mail uses Red Elastic Bands to wrap up bunches of letters, should do fine. I have one of them on my 24-105 (the red ring is fine, it's just to stop zoom creep and way cheaper than the custom rubber bands you can buy to do that). I also use one on the 8-15 to help line it up for Panoramas (by attaching a weight on a length of cotton).

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
              Stay calm, Chris. Drink tea
              Oh! No. Call on Saint Bacchus to help you in this hour of need. About 2-3 decent swigs from Famous Grouse or it's companions should sort you out.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Well, as always one can be certain that forum members can suggest ways around any Canon problems. So, if I am right, I need to hit the bottle and get plastered, search the road outside for a red rubber band discarded by the postman, order a big bundle of them for future use, sit back with a nice cup of tea and then L performance will be restored. Thanks, all.
                Cheers, Chris.
                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

I need to hit the bottle and get plastered, search the road outside for a red rubber band discarded by the postman, order a big bundle of them for future use, sit back with a nice cup of tea and then L performance will be restored.
                  Yes that's right and, of course, on behalf of my fellow forum-ites, may I say "you're welcome"

Not that we're remotely envious of you cruising the Mekon with your camera.

Not at all.
                  Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Nope...and don't drop your camera....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                      ..... cruising the Mekon with your camera.
                      I'm not sure Dan Dare would approve (showing my age now!!).
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Mekon!! The Eagle comic, of course. A little green man floating on a Hover-chair. Showing my age as well....
                        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

And watch out for the piranhas

Comment

Working...
                          X