Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using DPP4 as External Editor in Apple Photos

Hi

Does anyone have experience of calling DPP4 as the external editor on Apple Photos? When Photos first came out there was no external editor option - all you had were the tools in the app itself. There is now an extension called External Editor which allows other apps to be used. Basically it appears in the Photos edit menu and clicking brings up a drop down menu of all the editing software own your Mac that is suitable for that image (different lists for JPEG or RAW for example).

I installed this to get a wider range of tools than available for RAW in the native app (my version of Elements does not support the 80D RAW format, you have to convert to .dng, and it isn't a patch but a full blown new purchase to get it compatible) and hey presto, DPP4 shows up as an edit option. BUT - when you open it, it opens DPP (so far so good) but doesn't then place the image in the edit window - which it does in Elements as I have tried on JPEGS.

Anyone managed to get this to work? I don't edit or use RAW on all images, but there are some that need heavier help - I do a lot of bird photography and dark Red Kites from below against a white sky are particularly in need of tweaking!

And for the record - I am quite happy with Apple Photos as my primary library tool and for sharing across all our various "i" devices, and storing photos on iCloud as a back up - £2.99/month currently gets me 200GB and we are only upto 70GB used (the upgrade to 1TB only goes to £6.99/month). I have no desire to go to Lightroom and monthly plans etc etc.

I have a work around to maintain RAW quality in saved JPEGS if needed but it is an extra workflow step I would like to avoid.

Any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Re: Using DPP4 as External Editor in Apple Photos

I can't really help as I don't use a Mac, but bear in mind that Lightroom can be bought as a stand-alone programme for around £100 rather than use it on a monthly plan, although it's quite well hidden on the Adobe site! It's what I am likely to do, anyway.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
      I can't really help as I don't use a Mac, but bear in mind that Lightroom can be bought as a stand-alone programme for around £100 rather than use it on a monthly plan, although it's quite well hidden on the Adobe site! It's what I am likely to do, anyway.
      Yes, I did see that - and Elements 15 is still available on Mac for about £45, however, I am still pretty hacked off at Elements 12 (which at the time cost about £60) not supporting 80D RAW and there not even being a patch or simple upgrade - you have to buy a totally new copy....I have also found Elements (for Mac at least) very buggy.

Comment

This may not work for you but for older versions of Elements you can use the DNG converter to turn 80D raw images into an Adobe format that will be readable by Elements. It would probably knacker your workflow but it's there as an option. You can download it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=6087

On the other hand, it looks like DNG files can be managed from Photos which may fit your workflow after all...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
          This may not work for you but for older versions of Elements you can use the DNG converter to turn 80D raw images into an Adobe format that will be readable by Elements. It would probably knacker your workflow but it's there as an option. You can download it here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=6087

On the other hand, it looks like DNG files can be managed from Photos which may fit your workflow after all...
          Yes - I have the .dng converter which I have used but as you say - its a pain in the neck and creates yet another version of the photo.

Comment

unfortunately went through all this when i bought the 80D ,and after a lot of soul searching and resistance to change ,i finally went for the lightroom cc/photoshop package .after 6 months with it now i honestly don't think i could go back ,i have also got the free nik-efex editing suite which i use as a photoshop plug in .and also a decent plug in for noise reduction .it all works seamlessly and editing a raw file to finished item usually only takes around 3 to 4 minutes start to finish .

BUT paul your little mention of dark red kites against a white sky probably won't be helped by shooting in raw as all it will do is induce bad noisy images .this sounds more likely to be a case of not using enough exposure compensation in the first place .
            the 80D is a complex camera to master and its taken me a long time to get it right ,i am now finding the best method with my aperture restricted sigma 150-600 f6.3 is to shoot in a.v mode ,and to use auto iso with a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec set in menu ,you will still need to use + exp comp for b.i.f ,but it copes with most other situations nicely.
            the dynamic range on the 80D means that you can shoot practically noise free images all the way up to 6400iso this can be easily verified by checking exif data on my flickr pictures

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              unfortunately went through all this when i bought the 80D ,and after a lot of soul searching and resistance to change ,i finally went for the lightroom cc/photoshop package .after 6 months with it now i honestly don't think i could go back ,i have also got the free nik-efex editing suite which i use as a photoshop plug in .and also a decent plug in for noise reduction .it all works seamlessly and editing a raw file to finished item usually only takes around 3 to 4 minutes start to finish .

BUT paul your little mention of dark red kites against a white sky probably won't be helped by shooting in raw as all it will do is induce bad noisy images .this sounds more likely to be a case of not using enough exposure compensation in the first place .
              the 80D is a complex camera to master and its taken me a long time to get it right ,i am now finding the best method with my aperture restricted sigma 150-600 f6.3 is to shoot in a.v mode ,and to use auto iso with a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec set in menu ,you will still need to use + exp comp for b.i.f ,but it copes with most other situations nicely.
              the dynamic range on the 80D means that you can shoot practically noise free images all the way up to 6400iso this can be easily verified by checking exif data on my flickr pictures
              Thanks for the feedback.

Ref the Kites - I discussed this with a pro on a Going Digital wildlife day and he reckoned that at this time of year I am trying to shoot the near impossible shot - particularly because the flat light gives no reflection upwards to illuminate the underside of the bird. There are no such issues with shots I take on sunny days etc, nor with the local buzzards and kestrels who are naturally much lighter underneath.

Ref the 80D - I take your point entirely - exp comp could help on the early morning, grey day backlit shots. I run on full manual with auto ISO unless I really need to push the ISO setting beyond 6400. The 1.4x attached to the 100-400 Canon L limits you to f8 but so far that has not been a major issue - if I ever find that barn owl in really low light I will get back to you! I have had no issues with noise this far just some vibration softness caused by the combination of the extender length and the weight of the 100-400 even on a mono used mainly as an extended pistol grip,

Ref the Software - Apple's RAW editor is OK for most stuff, I also like the library style - suits my eye and brain logic, plus pain free to get the images onto iPads, iPhones etc, and DPP gives a few more bells and whistles - I am not into heavy manipulation and effects given the type of shots I generally take - so they work for me - but I would like something more seamless, and am baffled as to why DPP happily opens as an editor within Photos but doesn't grab the image across. There must be a setting somewhere I am missing I think.

Comment

I tried full manual with auto ISO and found I was getting a far higher hit rate shooting in a.v at f7.1 or f8 with auto and a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec .and btw I use a sigma 150-600 sport which is 3 kg on its own a gripped 80D balances it though and most shots are hand held ,not to shady for a 70 year old

Comment

I tried full manual with auto ISO and found I was getting a far higher hit rate shooting in a.v at f7.1 or f8 with auto and a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec .and btw I use a sigma 150-600 sport which is 3 kg on its own a gripped 80D balances it though and most shots are hand held ,not to shady for a 70 year old
                  I met someone with that lens at Wicken Fen - it is a beast - very impressive to use it fully handheld! I have found that the 100-400 plus mono rests very nicely across the back of the neck like a yoke when hiking. I think that the AV vs auto is probably personal preference. I do use AV as the back up to Auto if necessary rather than TV.

Comment

I tried full manual with auto ISO and found I was getting a far higher hit rate shooting in a.v at f7.1 or f8 with auto and a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000th sec
                    Not arguing with your outcome, but I can't understand why this would be the case. Using Manual mode and setting the shutter speed and aperture to 1/1000 and f8 with auto ISO is identical to what you're doing with Av mode. Unless you mean because you can dial in EC on Av mode and hence get the exposure right? Certainly I can see no reason why the AF would behave differently in Av vs. manual mode if that's what you're seeing...
                    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Me neither Andy , have tried it a few times now and can only comment re the results ,as you well know you have to be at one with your equipment to put your mind at ease .

Comment

Working...
                      X