Does either of these work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does either of these work?

SWMBO and I went for a walk in the woods and during it she mentioned that she had seen some images with deliberate camera movement used as a creative element.

I thought I would try my hand at it for the first time and would welcome any guidance on how to improve the results.

I suspect I should have used a tripod, but also wonder to what extent one needs a more readily identifiable focal point to this type of image - with a bit of study you can tell it is trees, but it does not leap out at you - is that a failing?

I am also open to suggestions as to the exposure time - clearly one needs sufficient time to change the zoom setting on the lens, but giving too much time for that operation leads to considerable overexposure (as was the case with the examples below).

Zoom by John Liddle, on Flickr

Zoom 1 by John Liddle, on Flickr

All opinions and guidance gratefully received!
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Does either of these work?

Doh!!! After reading Colyton John's posting to the end, I now see that I could have got some guidance on settings before I had a go.
    John Liddle

Comment

I'm not a big abstract fan, but I do like your first image - very nice
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I've not tried this (not yet anyway!) so can't help with technique but I prefer #1 over #2, if that helps
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Well not to be awkward but for me No 2 is the better shot.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Second image is also my preference ...

Comment

I quite like this type of shot. I don't think there is a typical 'correct setting', it depends on the conditions at the time. It works well in bluebell woods but try to have a definite focal point. I sometimes use a 3stop nd filter, so it gives a longer exposure and more time to do the zooming.

John

Comment

Can't offer any guidance as I have not done this, but I do like them both

Tom

Comment

Thank you to all who have looked and commented - I was not expecting such a positive response, so am much encouraged.

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
                  ....... but try to have a definite focal point. I sometimes use a 3stop nd filter, so it gives a longer exposure and more time to do the zooming.

John
                  Two useful bits of advice - thank you.
                  John Liddle

Comment

The first works much better than the second due to the smoother zoom and the overexposed area shouldn't be a problem, just crop it off

Th be fair though you could have got the same effect on a standard shot with photoshop
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

John, I'm growing to like these when done well, and I think these are nearly there, perhaps just a little more smoothness in the zooms to work on. My favourite of the two is the second, because I tend to like the main element to still be recognisable and this has that.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for looking and your thoughts Alex - I realised as soon as I looked at the results that my technique left something to be desired, but since they were quite literally spur of the moment shots on a walk in the woods, I guess they could be worse. I take your point about the second still having a recognisable subject and that aligns with my own view of what is needed.
                        John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                        X