Clear All

Re: EOS upgrade

Thanks Bill.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Same sensor plus advantages of mirrorless
      Apart from the weight I can't see any advantage against a dslr, especially in regard to focussing and long lenses
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

I have the 70D, great camera to use and own and I love mine, but the 80D has got a few more things added to it. Both 70D,80D are great cameras but the edge goes to the 80D.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          Apart from the weight I can't see any advantage against a dslr, especially in regard to focussing and long lenses
          Hi Stan. I thought mirrorless advantages were obvious, but my interest (I don't own one, btw) would be for the quieter operation with less vibration, and even more, the ability to shoot video using the eye level viewfinder. That's a big advantage, if you have to shoot in bright sun, I think, especially. Shooting a mix of stills and videos, eye level shooting is a big deal. When "shutterless" and mirrorless are finally allowed, along with IBIS, by Canon and Nikon, we'll finally be where we could have been ten years ago.
          Bill
          "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Comment

See where you are coming from Bill but I don't shoot video being mainly a wildlife photographer so couldn't imagine trying to use one with my Sigma 150-600 sport or even my 300 f4 bolted on
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Think I'm with Stan, weight might be of interest. Never ever turned video on, so that advantage is not at all important to me. Quietness might also be of I interest. Vibration ain't an issue really IMHO whether handholding or on a tripod (mirror lockup).

For stills photographers mirrorless still has a way to go particularly in the area AF speed though the likes of the Olympus OM-D II are quite impressive in this dept.

Maybe I'm lucky but have had a look at microadjustment on my 5D3 and with 70-200 2.8 it was 0 at 70 and - 1 at 200. Recently tried my Sigma 150-600 and at 600 this was +2. Not really that significant.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                Think I'm with Stan, weight might be of interest. Never ever turned video on, so that advantage is not at all important to me. Quietness might also be of I interest. Vibration ain't an issue really IMHO whether handholding or on a tripod (mirror lockup).

For stills photographers mirrorless still has a way to go particularly in the area AF speed though the likes of the Olympus OM-D II are quite impressive in this dept.

Maybe I'm lucky but have had a look at microadjustment on my 5D3 and with 70-200 2.8 it was 0 at 70 and - 1 at 200. Recently tried my Sigma 150-600 and at 600 this was +2. Not really that significant.
                I'm pretty much with you both on this. I've been looking at 4/3 as a replacement for a higher quality compact and the Olympus range seems pretty impressive for this. The lack of weight and small lenses with high quality outputs and a 4 or 5 stop image stabilisation built in to the body ticks all the boxes for this use for me. Will it replace my EOS slr ? Not for me, although if you Google Craig Roberts photography he has changed totally for landscape and urban photography - his blog and YouTube video makes a strong argument on the subject though

Comment

Working...
                X