Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 5D mkIII Sensor issue

A little help needed please:

I am having issues with my Canon 5D MkIII.
    The Shard in front of the appeared on week 49 of ownership, John Lewis [JL] Don't want to replace it but repair it.
    I wanted a replacement as I was going to a wedding with in 2 weeks of the fault appearing and a loan Canon body from JL was not available for 2 reasons, hast and not wanting a repair on a expensive complex camera under a year old!
    This has lead me into the world of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 [CRA2015]
    Your help please: in the CRA2015 it refers to a 'Reasonable Person Pg12 on this link:

https://www.businesscompanion.info/…...e%20and%20sup…

If you can agree with could you message me with a little support
    Cheers
    Stewart Codd
    Attached Files

Re: Canon 5D mkIII Sensor issue

Hi Stewart,

Firstly welcome to the forum but such a shame your first post is a tale of woe.

Your link is truncated so didn't work but a little rummaging around the Citizen's Advice pages found this:

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 says goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. During the expected lifespan of your product you're entitled to the following:

Up to 30 Days
    If your goods are faulty, you can get an immediate refund.

Up to 6 Months
    If it can’t be repaired or replaced, then you're entitled to a full refund in most cases.

Up to 6 Years
    If the goods do not last a reasonable length of time you may be entitled to some money back.

And, specifically:

Faulty Goods:
    If the item should’ve lasted until now, you can ask for a repair, replacement or part-refund - it’s up to you which one you ask for, but it’s ultimately up to the seller which one they offer you.

So, as expected, you are able to return the camera as clearly a 5D3 with an expected life expectancy in excess of 250,000 actuations shouldn't be falling apart inside a year and, from the above, it seems you can request a replacement but JL are seemingly within their rights to insist on a repair.

Not much help to you then! A compromise strategy, if JL agree, may be send yours back for repair and hire a body for the wedding and get JL to pay for it. That's far from satisfactory, of course, and you haven't paid north of £2,000 to be using someone else's camera.

However, does the shard (that appears to be still attached to the sensor) impair the camera's function? If not perhaps use it for the wedding then take JL to task afterwards when you have the luxury of a bit more time. The above CA statements show you're not tied to 12 months for a claim as it "should've lasted until now".

Perhaps contact Citizen's Advice directly for more qualified support?

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Hi John,
      Thanks very much for the reply.

The wedding has passed and I only had my Iphone to snap off a few for myself. JL have said they didn't have a canon body but another Bridge camera they could have lent which with 2 weeks to familiarize myself would not have been suitable.

I have been catching up on the CRA20015 and you are correct that it seems, certainly, quality products should last well beyond the 1 year 'warrantee' period and in England is now effectively 6 years!

Interestingly the act considers what a 'Reasonable Person' would expect [a Reasonable Person is a similar person to the purchaser and not the trader!]

Sadly, Canon and a couple of Canon Authorised repair dealers think it is an introduced 'foreign' body and cannot diagnose from the images I have sent [attached]. It was put to me that it may be a hair that has got passed the shutter and lodged between the plates! If I was as luck as this unlucky scenario I'd have won the lottery.

Canon would not let me have technical drawings of the camera to determine the assembly of the camera/sensor plate but 5 mins on the web soon found what I needed.

On a positive front I have been a Canon user for 32 years: AE1 - T90 [x2] EOS 3, then a 5d and now the 5d Mk3.

I was hoping for a bit more support from Canon and very disappointed with John Lewis customer care! Still think photography is excellent though!

Regards

Stewart

Comment

For a start Stewart welcome to the forum ,now to your problem it's a hard one to quantify .when I looked at it earlier I thought it's a foreign body that's blown into the camera as well .
        John Lewis are a law unto themselves and it appears they have a guideline on there computer system that tells them what they can exchange /refund or send away for repair ,we Sussed this out a few weeks back when my son took back a go.pro camera that was a year old and had been used for a diving trip in Egypt .after consulting there system the girl stated it was a non repairable item so exchanged it ,so it seems as your camera comes under the yes it can be repaired banner that's the way it's got to be .

Comment

Up to 6 Months
          If it can’t be repaired or replaced, then you're entitled to a full refund in most cases.
          Actually up to six months they have to prove it was something you did, nigh on impossible, after 6 months the shoe is on the other foot.
          How did you pay for it, if credit card you would be insured under that.

In one of the best pieces of protection out there, Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 gives credit card users help against firms that don't deliver.

I wouldn't ever use John Lewis again, I bought a TV, they opened the box upside down resulting in all the accessories falling out, they then tried to fit the now broken stand mount, I kicked them and their TV out of my home, a replacement was promised, they refunded the cost and then took the same charge back out of my account for the replacement, as refunds take days I was then left with a period that I was down over £5000 from my bank account, the price of two TV's!!.

As for the offending item, it looks like part of the gasket hanging down to me.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

The macro guys will know better than me - but it reminds me of an insect leg more than anything ...

Comment

Microscope set up.jpg
              Used this Dental Microscope to get a good view of it. 99.99% sure it's a shard of the Sensor assembly that got through the QA at Canon

Comment

as the wedding is now past ,why not send it in or take it in to canon .,can't really see how the sensor would disintegrate after a years use ,in fact if your coming up to the end of warranty get it sorted asap .JL are obviously not going to bow to a replacement demand as i said they seem to have set instructions on there computers ..the worst way you'll get it repaired and serviced f.o.c

Comment

Working...
                X