Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First attempt of portraits

Originally posted by H2OJunkie View Post
    I am in agreement with the others except the mono is about on par with the color. With the color removed the WB sets it up for B&W (reddish usually produces good B&W). I am going to add a couple of suggestions. You have a double catch light in the eyes, one high, one low and very small. I would like to know what lighting you used if you don't mind. Also because the hair is poorly lit it resulted in lost fine hair detail. If I know what lighting you used I may be able to give you a hint to improve both. One suggestion, on Flicker include your EXIF data. It will make those offering thoughts info on how it was shot that will be more pointed to your situation.

I would want a more centered and larger catch light in the eyes. That will make them stick out more. One trick you can use in those instances where lighting is limited is your on-camera flash turned way down to cause a catch light but have no effect on the image. This is generally easy to do if portrait ISO setting is ISO 100.

A bounced flash will produce generally good hair lights if the roof is such to facilitate it. If it isn't, use a reflector on a boom over the subject's head to bounce flash down to her hair to bring out the hair. Distance between the subject and the reflector will produce varying results. Some trial and error may be needed.

I personally prefer to WB in camera so I don't have to do it at the computer. I prefer color accuracy rather than guessing in Photoshop if you don't have true white, true black or 15% gray in the image. Auto WB usually works well except in upper ISOs and when multiple light sources are involved. I use one like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14905[/ATTACH]

I am not a fan of ExpoDisc as it sits directly on the lens and meters reflected light, not the light actually hitting the subject. That is my personal opinion after testing multiple types of WB tools but others opinions may differ from mine.

Hi there, thank you for ur reply.
    These shots were taken in my hall way at home we have a very bright up lighting lamp that give off a fairly natural light to the eye and that was my light source. The reason for two light spots is there is a spot light on it that I had on very dim at there was a shadow under the chin I guess a reflector would be the thing to use in that instance. The EXTIF on the shots is
    Aperture F9
    ISO 1600
    Shutter speed 1/50
    WB auto
    And at 46mm zoom.
    I do have a flash gun but haven't used it when taking these type of shots yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamingDwarf View Post
      Hi there, thank you for ur reply.
      These shots were taken in my hall way at home we have a very bright up lighting lamp that give off a fairly natural light to the eye and that was my light source. The reason for two light spots is there is a spot light on it that I had on very dim at there was a shadow under the chin I guess a reflector would be the thing to use in that instance. The EXTIF on the shots is
      Aperture F9
      ISO 1600
      Shutter speed 1/50
      WB auto
      And at 46mm zoom.
      I do have a flash gun but haven't used it when taking these type of shots yet.
      1600 ISO explains the color. I use some very specific settings when shooting portraits. If shooting existing light and I want accurate color I custom white balance in the camera using my WB target as I said. If using flash straight on (I use a Rogue Flashbender on mine) I generally shoot f/5.6 for single subjects with the shutter speed at 1/60 and the ISO at 100. The f/5.6 is my standard setting for most of my single subject portraits as it produces a generally pleasing DOF to me.

For bounce flash I will increase ISO to 400 and use a Gary Fong Light Sphere using similar settings. If you don't have a light sphere you can shoot straight flash but I would advise dropping ISO to 100. Without the Light Sphere pay close attention to shadows as you will only get bounce flash which will cause top down shadows. Also pay close attention to the roof. Anything that may block the bounce can wreak havoc on the final image.

When shooting existing light without a custom white balance pay attention to the types of light in the room and the colors they will exhibit in your image. I recommend visiting http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...86208&seqNum=4 to get you thinking how light and its color can affect your image. Existing light can produce some AMAZING photographs!

Give your flash gun a shot. You might find the results to your liking. When using TTL I prefer to use manual mode on the camera with the settings I told you. Keep in mind shadows that will be cast by the flash and the potential for redeye. When I use TTL I prefocus on the eye and then recompose moving my single point focus to the tip of the nose since it is closest to the flash. I then trigger with it there which helps dramatically reduce flash hot spots.

Hopefully that will give you something new to experiment with. A worst case scenario is you try something new and it doesn't work for you. Even in those cases you learn something that you may be able to put to use later on. One easy trick to use for practice (so the wifey remains happy) is to use a household lamp shade that is preferably a lighter color so you deal with hot spots. It makes an effective inanimate tool to see how your flash gun casts shadows and how bounced flash will affect your subject.
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Originally posted by H2OJunkie View Post
        1600 ISO explains the color. I use some very specific settings when shooting portraits. If shooting existing light and I want accurate color I custom white balance in the camera using my WB target as I said. If using flash straight on (I use a Rogue Flashbender on mine) I generally shoot f/5.6 for single subjects with the shutter speed at 1/60 and the ISO at 100. The f/5.6 is my standard setting for most of my single subject portraits as it produces a generally pleasing DOF to me.

For bounce flash I will increase ISO to 400 and use a Gary Fong Light Sphere using similar settings. If you don't have a light sphere you can shoot straight flash but I would advise dropping ISO to 100. Without the Light Sphere pay close attention to shadows as you will only get bounce flash which will cause top down shadows. Also pay close attention to the roof. Anything that may block the bounce can wreak havoc on the final image.

When shooting existing light without a custom white balance pay attention to the types of light in the room and the colors they will exhibit in your image. I recommend visiting http://www.peachpit.com/articles/art...86208&seqNum=4 to get you thinking how light and its color can affect your image. Existing light can produce some AMAZING photographs!

Give your flash gun a shot. You might find the results to your liking. When using TTL I prefer to use manual mode on the camera with the settings I told you. Keep in mind shadows that will be cast by the flash and the potential for redeye. When I use TTL I prefocus on the eye and then recompose moving my single point focus to the tip of the nose since it is closest to the flash. I then trigger with it there which helps dramatically reduce flash hot spots.

Hopefully that will give you something new to experiment with. A worst case scenario is you try something new and it doesn't work for you. Even in those cases you learn something that you may be able to put to use later on. One easy trick to use for practice (so the wifey remains happy) is to use a household lamp shade that is preferably a lighter color so you deal with hot spots. It makes an effective inanimate tool to see how your flash gun casts shadows and how bounced flash will affect your subject.
        Thank you for your help. I have done some mor this weekend (admittedly before I saw this reply) using my flash gun I shall post the results shortly.

Comment

So this was todays efforts I'll be honest I'm not over the moon with them but I used my flash gun and tried a few different things, lit the eyes more and used the same lamp but turned it down slightly (it has a dimmer switch) although my setting were maybe slightly wrong as i had already taken them when saw your reply.

untitled-0122.jpg by stu widdows, on Flickr

untitled-0084.jpg by stu widdows, on Flickr

untitled-0086.jpg by stu widdows, on Flickr

For these had the sort light on the lamp bottom right pointing up and bounced the flash off the roof or wall on the right hand side.

Comment

Color is more accurate but the flash is coming in a little hot. Hair detail looks MUCH better!
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Yes, like the mono.
              Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

I sort o like the colour portrait, the lighting is very even.
                However good think being photographer is that you've got the freedom to manipulate the light as much as you like in order to get even better results. As I said the light looks flat and even, which is not bad thing for a base layer of lighting, but think of giving it a bit of direction - so you can see and control shadows/highlights, which in its order will help you create more expressive portraiture. Think of gradients (from highlights through the shadows range) - you should be creating them and controlling them with your lighting.
                London professional Portrait & Headshot photographer

Comment

Originally posted by mirchevphotography View Post
                  I sort o like the colour portrait, the lighting is very even.
                  However good think being photographer is that you've got the freedom to manipulate the light as much as you like in order to get even better results. As I said the light looks flat and even, which is not bad thing for a base layer of lighting, but think of giving it a bit of direction - so you can see and control shadows/highlights, which in its order will help you create more expressive portraiture. Think of gradients (from highlights through the shadows range) - you should be creating them and controlling them with your lighting.
                  Thank you, I have read a lot the last two weeks about lighting and how to use it as I've been off work with a bad back and have now got some lighting and soft boxes and fully intend to get a lot of pratice in over the festive period.

Comment

I liked the first attempts. Looking forward to seeing your second attempts! Especially since you have now been reading up on the subject, and have acquired more kit!!!
                    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

So at last I've had another chance to have a go at some portraits this time with a background, some lights, new camera and after 3 weeks with a bad back had some time to swat up on lighting. For some reason during the upload the skin tone in the second one has changed it isn't quite that yellow.
                      Shot at:
                      ISO:100 f5.0 1/50
                      ISO:125 f5.0 1/60
                      ISO:100 f5.6 1/30

untitled-2177.jpg

EMMA.jpg

untitled-2192.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X