Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisdom of switching on and off the computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisdom of switching on and off the computer.

Using a Mac book Pro never shut it down,only time that i would is if away from home for any period of time.

GEORGE.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

Thanks George.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Quite a few years ago I questioned this - and was told that the idea was to preserve the life of the hard drive as it did not have the strain of stopping and starting so often! How accurate that was I do not know (although it came from a well qualified advisor), but I suspect that the kit is now much more durable. I generally turn my machine off if I am going to be away from it for an hour or more. Boot time is also very much improved so there is little advantage time-wise in returning to a running machine.

Martin
        Last edited by MartinR; 31-12-2016, 23:09. Reason: Correct typo

Comment

Thanks for all your time and advice. Much appreciated.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

One quick point:
            There are 3 different modes available:
            1. Sleep - All open items are stored to memory and hard disc are shut down. The computer draws a small amount of current and will resume following a key depression or mouse movement.
            2. Hybrid Sleep - As above but additionally open items are also stored to hard disc. This ensures that if there is a power cut data will not be lost. (This is the default mode for desktop PCs.
            3 Hybernate - This is the mode used for Laptops as the open items are stored to hard disc. Resume is slower but power consumption is reduced.
            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Thanks Springfield. The problem I had with Windows Vista (before I moved to Windows 10) was that I had difficulty in "waking" up the computer after I put it to sleep. Hence I now leave it switched on from morning till night and only switch it off when I go to bed. I am aware that there are other members who leave it on all the time, unless they are going away for a week or more. I use a desk top in preference to a laptop.

Comment

Working...
              X