Workflow Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workflow Query

First of all, my apologies if this has already been covered. I have searched the forum and can't see an answer to this particular query.

I now use CS6 and am on a very steep learning curve! I was using Elements 13 for editing and still use it for the Organiser function I have about 11000+ images catalogued in Organiser.

My question is, would I be better spending out and getting Lightroom or would it be worth my while to stay with my present setup ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

Re: Workflow Query

Hi Terry I am no expert and sure someone will give a better answer than me, but I have all my photos in Lightroom.

Comment

My wife uses Elements and I use Lightroom. IMHO, Lightroom is way more capable when it comes to managing both large collections of images and dividing them into separate Catalogs so that, if you're like me, you like to have a set of current images and an archive.

Elements is not set up to easily do that separation - I nearly cacked myself when I tried to do that for the wife a while back and thought I'd lost loads if photos - and it doesn't have the key wording, attribute and metal data searching that Lightroom provides. On the other hand, Elements has some features that LR could really do with - the magic selection for me is one that it's crying out for but your forced into PS or Elements itself to get that.

TL:DR answer is for 11k+ photos, I'd go for LR unless there are some key capabilities it lacks in processing. But then you can open photos in PS or PSE and edit there so the two work together.
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Your biggest difference is that Elements converts your image to 8 bits, while LR keeps it at 16 bits, which means that there is more colors available in LR than elements. Also LR was designed to manage your images.

Tom

Comment

I was a late convert to Lightroom as I tried an early version and hated it. I now use it as the main pillar of my workflow and as my library function. It saves me time and frustration and is miles better than any other product. There are some excellent online tutorials which will get you upto speed.
          Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

I too started out using Elements but soon switched to LR. It's a fantastic tool for storing and managing your images as well as being a decent editing/processing tool
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Might be worth thinking about subscribing to Adobe CC. It costs £8.58, I think, a month and for that you get the latest Photoshop and Lightroom, which are kept up to date. The downside is you don't actually own the programmes, you're just 'renting' them from Adobe.

John

Comment

Someone has just got me Lightroom 6 standalone and Elements 14 for xmas. I have the adobe cc deal, but will sack that in the new year, so I will have it all to keep, instead of paying out every month or year.

Comment

It's my understanding that once you cancel your subscription you'll still have the programs but no longer get updates/have access to the online services. Don't know if it's still the case but at one time the standalone versions lacked some of the features of the CC ones.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

My understanding is that the cc apps connect to Adobe periodically to check subscription status. If cancelled then I would expect them to stop working within 1-3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                      It's my understanding that once you cancel your subscription you'll still have the programs but no longer get updates/have access to the online services.
                      Don't think that's correct. If you already have a standalone version, you get to keep that one but not anything downloaded via CC. The CC versions do have features that standalone ones lack.

John

Comment

Checked it all out, lose the Dehaze and another slider, but get the dehaze in elements 14. For what I do on the editing this xmas gift will be spot on, plus I am still having a play trying Rawtherapee

Comment

Working...
                        X