Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which mode to use when using a Canon Speedlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which mode to use when using a Canon Speedlight?

I have asked this question on various forums bur have not yet recieved a reply that really answers my problem.
    I have a 5D Mark II camera and a 580EX II speedlight and I am confused about which mode to use when taking flash shots with a low ambient light.

Example:
    1. At a wedding I want to take a shot of the 'Signing register' .
    2. I intend to bounce the flash.
    3. I want to ensure that the depth of field is not to shallow (say aperture of f8).
    4. The light in the room is reasonable but a little on the low side.

I have been told that I must keep the shutter speed high enough to prevend camera shake (hand holding) with a 24-70 lens. and therefore should use the TV mode on the camera and ETTL II on the flash.

Which mode do you guys recommend plese? AV, TV, or P and why.

Re: Which mode to use when using a Canon Speedlight?

Hi Ronniebootwest
    Which mode do you guys recommend plese? AV, TV, or P and why.
    I would reccomend manual, are you interested ? if you prefer the auto modes I wouldn't want to waste your time.
    Trev

Comment

The flash will give off the right amount of light for your shot

I start off on manual, 1/200, f8, iso100. I would recommend a difuser rather than bounce. Go in portrait mode with the feet in the bottom of the frame (or desk if they are behind it. Use a wide angle so you can crop it in potrait mode( heads on the 1/2 way line . That way you will get bounce and straight light when only using 1 flash

I have a wedding to do on New Years Eve so I wont have any natural light. I plan to do some trial shots a few days before at the rehersal. If you can get along to the rehersal, or at least the venue and take some shots so that you are comfortable with it.
      Last edited by briansquibb; 16-09-2010, 10:48.
      ef-r

Comment

I have one next Friday.Brians tip to visit the venue before the wedding is one I always use...gives you time to sort out places to take the images you want.Most of my pictures will be inside as the gardens will be very wet this time of the year...I will use program if I can get away with it if not manual.You should set you shutter speed to match your flash scynic...or lower.then sort your appature to suit.It works well for me.Remember you cant photograph the couple signing the register,but you can set one up after the ceromany....you then should get the images you want.
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

I have one on Saturday unfortunately I will not be taking the pictures but having to give the Father of the Bride speach. I would far sooner be behind the camera

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
            I have one on Saturday unfortunately I will not be taking the pictures but having to give the Father of the Bride speach. I would far sooner be behind the camera
            Oooo - who's gonna be a nervous boy then!

Don't drink too much beforehand; never good form for the FOTB to fall-over during the speech!

Hope you have a GREAT day! Fingers-crossed for the weather!
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Innebriated Father of the Bride speech:

David is a highly intelligent, handsome, caring and very likeable son-in-law, who has a fantastic career ahead of him and will make a great husband and father .................. unfortunately my stupid daughter disregarded my advice and married Rodney!

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I have asked this question on various forums bur have not yet recieved a reply that really answers my problem.
                Sorry Ronniebootwest,
                The way things are looking from the replies so far, your not going to have much luck on this forum either

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                  Sorry Ronniebootwest,
                  The way things are looking from the replies so far, your not going to have much luck on this forum either

Trev
                  If he followed my reply he wouldn't go far wrong
                  ef-r

Comment

Muscat, make it as humourous as possible so your tears won't show. I did my bit 4 years ago. To make my new son in law "jealous" I spoke abouit the handsome young Spanish lad and his donkey. Every morning we foiund this lad and his donkey outside our hotel (goes back to the 1970's) and everytime we came out of the hotel this lad and his donkey would follow us. After about 5 days, the lad summoned up courage and told me in faltering English," Pappa, you take donkey and I take your Senorita". I quickly told my wife who then shook her head and said "one donkey for another is no difference but ask for two donkeys". So I asked for two donkeys. With that the lad and his donkey stopped visiting us!!!!

As for photography I asked a friend of mine to take some photos, inaddition to the official photos!.

Good luck for the wedding and hope everything goes off well for you & family.
                    Last edited by Nathaniel; 17-09-2010, 09:04.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

If he followed my reply he wouldn't go far wrong
                      Brain, I've seen many of your experiments with the flash, you post lots of images With respect I had you down someone who was trying to learn how to use a flash. Thats in no way meant as a put of any sort.

Maybe it's just your style that leads me to think that, you did tell me once I'd get used to it

Trev

Comment

I am always experimenting so I tend to post my queries when I get stuck. Being retired I have the time to do a lot of playing - I started learning about flash about this time last year and now use flash as a matter of course. I have the time (and patience I guess) to do a lot of 'what if I do this?' playing. I am gradually getting there, which is why there was a flurry of lens buying this week as I had come to a conclusion with my options.

I am a self confessed bookaholic so you can assume that whatever I am doing is based on a lot of reading first.

My epitaph will probably be - 'he did it his way'. SWMBO has learnt not to even query what I am up to nowadays
                        ef-r

Comment

I'm not retired but we have a bit in common.
                          I use my flash always for anything other than casual snaps and a share your interest in snapping people.
                          I mainly workin within six foot or closer to people so I dont use those longer primes you have.
                          I use the 70-200 non IS version but I'm getting that out less ans less these days.

Brian, I look forward to more sharing pics,comments and info with people like your good self
                          Trev

PS what's this all got to do with the OPs question. LOL

Comment

I love the 135+flash. It is a great distance away for portraits as it gives the flash room to difuse
                            ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
                              The flash will give off the right amount of light for your shot

I start off on manual, 1/200, f8, iso100. I would recommend a difuser rather than bounce. Go in portrait mode with the feet in the bottom of the frame (or desk if they are behind it. Use a wide angle so you can crop it in potrait mode( heads on the 1/2 way line . That way you will get bounce and straight light when only using 1 flash.
                              Brian, I set my camera up as suggested and handed to my other daughter to use when we were signing the register and it worked a dream, thanks
                              Last edited by Muscat; 19-09-2010, 18:02.

Comment

Working...
                              X