Dreamtime... or nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamtime... or nightmare

This was a bit of photoshop fun (for me anyway, if not for you, the viewers...) It is a combination of at least 7 photographs, plus a texture, plus a border. Pushed, pulled and dragged kicking and screaming through Photoshop... I know that at least some of you much prefer "pure" photographs. I am just quite enjoying letting my imagination run riot! I would love feedback, either positive or negative...

Fun with Photoshop... by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

I know I am pushing my luck with this!!!

Thank you so much for looking!
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: Dreamtime... or nightmare

For me this an image that works well.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Richard, I like a bit of digital art, so not one of the 'purists' but sorry, for me it leaves me a bit cold. I admire the undoubted skill in creating it, but I don't see enough of a point. It looks like it could be a backdrop to a poster or something, but not as an artwork in its own right. Sorry.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I wish I could make a constructive comment but I really struggle to know why I like some but not others. I liked a couple of the earlier 'arty' ones but none since. I just wish I knew what is was that caused me to like them but not the others. Sorry not being much help here.

John

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          For me this an image that works well.
          Thank you very much!!!

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
          Richard, I like a bit of digital art, so not one of the 'purists' but sorry, for me it leaves me a bit cold. I admire the undoubted skill in creating it, but I don't see enough of a point. It looks like it could be a backdrop to a poster or something, but not as an artwork in its own right. Sorry.
          No need to apologise! I don't know what the point was really either, except to begin to construct "fairy tales" in photographs. I am not absolutely sure that is has to have a point, but that is more of a philosophical debate! I will cogitate on what you have said. I probably won't add anything more - if for no other reason than I don't know if my computer has the power to process many more layers! Anyway, as an experiment to see if I can do it, I am reasonably pleased at the moment. I will probably hate it in a month's time!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
            I wish I could make a constructive comment but I really struggle to know why I like some but not others. I liked a couple of the earlier 'arty' ones but none since. I just wish I knew what is was that caused me to like them but not the others. Sorry not being much help here.

John

John, thank you very much for that comment which came through as I was posting my earlier reply. I think there has to be some kind of visceral response as well as rational, and if that isn't there, fair enough. I think I will keep ploughing away at this for a while longer!

Comment

It is a very ecliptic image that gives a very haunting look of a forgotten suburbia from a 60s hippie mind. Not that I'm calling you a 60s hippie Richard. Just giving you how I see the image.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                It is a very ecliptic image that gives a very haunting look of a forgotten suburbia from a 60s hippie mind. Not that I'm calling you a 60s hippie Richard. Just giving you how I see the image.

Tom
                Thanks Tom - I can live with that! I was born in 59!!! And it kind of goes with the words - which were all drawn from the very 60's inspired lights at Carnaby Street - the street of 60's chic... Not that much about it is chic today!

Comment

sorry rich doesnt work for me either ,but keep on we have to keep pushing the boundaries or whither up .

p.s the carnaby street i remember consisted of only one shop of interest john stevens where us mods used to go for our hipster trousers in the day and to have a scooter and mini meet up at night to plan the next bank holiday hot spot ,be it margate ,southend or brighton .and funnily enough the chief instigator of all them events was a guy named marc feld ,probably better known in later years as marc bolan of t.rex fame . them were the days .

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                    sorry rich doesnt work for me either ,but keep on we have to keep pushing the boundaries or whither up .

p.s the carnaby street i remember consisted of only one shop of interest john stevens where us mods used to go for our hipster trousers in the day and to have a scooter and mini meet up at night to plan the next bank holiday hot spot ,be it margate ,southend or brighton .and funnily enough the chief instigator of all them events was a guy named marc feld ,probably better known in later years as marc bolan of t.rex fame . them were the days .
                    Exactly: push on or die back!

I only remember Carnaby St as a child!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                      Hi Alex, I have been thinking quite deeply about your response, especially your comment "I don't see enough of a point." First off, I want to assure you and anyone else, that I am not in any sense discombobulated by your response! I am perfectly comfortable, but it did give me pause for thought.

So here goes! In a sense I am not sure that any photograph needs a point: I mean, what is the point of another photograph of a sunset in Greece, or the moon, or my partner? I take them because I want to take them, and I share them to try and get better and because, let's face it, we all love the glow that you get from positive affirmation. Otherwise why bother posting here, on Flickr or Facebook?

But I think there is also something deeper in that collage above, that doesn't necessarily come across, as to why I chose that selection. And I may well be justifying the fact after the event! But each of those pictures in there has some particular meaning to me at this stage of my life: Edinburgh connects me to my daughters (who are not speaking to me), the angel has multiple resonances, London represents a fairly hectic business life that i have led, the lighthouse perhaps that things are a bit unclear to me going forward and so on. I could go on, but won't. Now, just because they have meaning to me, doesn't necessarily mean that they will have any meaning at all to anyone else. I couldn't possibly convey those meanings to you without writing a long essay and that would sort of reduce the point of creating a photograph, and yet my urge to be creative is now as strong as it has ever been. So at the same time, I am kind of satisfying a deeply creative urge using the medium of photography (which I have loved since the age of 5 - some 52 years and as an aside, you might have thought that I would be better at it by now!) and linking it in a way that takes it away from being a strictly representational process to something that has something that might be described as "art", whatever that means. So does it matter that it doesn't mean anything to anyone else? But I do know that it does connect with some people and that gives me a great buzz. Would I like it to mean more to more people? I am not sure. I remember a great moment of inspiration to me when I was a senior manager in a big firm of accountants - I suddenly realised with 30+ people working for me, that it really didn't matter whether they liked me or not - what mattered was that we got the job done and I helped develop people. Likewise, it doesn't matter whether anyone else likes my photograph, but it is great when somebody does!

So I will probably go on trying with other attempts, because I am expressing something within me.

Sorry for being so philosophical... and quite possibly maudlin, and I haven't even had anything to drink!!!

Richard
                      Last edited by rcarca; 14-12-2016, 13:50.

Comment

Back in film days what was burned onto the film was pretty much what the average person got as, with the exception of a little dodging and burning while engaged in mono D&P in a home darkroom, there was little opportunity to be creative.

With the advent of digital photography we have a lot more control over what we permit the sensor to see and this is further enhanced by processing - photography, for those who desire it, is now far more an art form than ever before. We can use simple processing to 'lift' an otherwise bland image or, as with Richard's recent productions, create images that are true works of art.

Whether the result leans towards impressionism or surrealism, pop art or abstract is irrelevant as the digital artist is creating a work they find appealing - and it certainly doesn't have to 'have a point'. Of course, the subjective nature of all art forms means that not everyone will be enthralled but that matter not a jot and there is no difference here whether the medium is oil, watercolour, marble, bronze or Photoshop.

But what of this image? Well, I think this composite works well and I like it right up to the point where the 'net curtain' layer was applied but let that not diminish what has been a very good and interesting series so please keep them coming

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Thanks John!

Comment

Richard, on first look and after waiting for my eyes to stop bleeding I didn't 'get it'. But now after reading the others comments and your replies it makes total sense to me. It does have a 60's feel to it, a decade I wish I was a teenager in. To that end I think you should change the modern looking bus for one of that period.
                            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                            X