X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5Dmk IV GPS

cheers for your help ...its going back
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      cheers Joe

I've gone thought all of that in the manual - someone of a FB group for the camera suggested it can take a while to lock on from new, I think that sounds rubbish but I'll try, so I've changed the camera to mode 1 and checking once a second - I will leave it for 30 mins outside and see

I'm not holding any hope
      GPS units will take quite a while to initialise a) when they have not been used for a period of time and b) when they are moved a substantial distance whilst they are switched off ie. when you travel large distances.

I have a small Garmin bike computer and that can take up to five minutes to gain satellite lock if I've not used it for a week or so. I also have Garmin Oregon450 (hand held unit) this usually wakes up quiet quickly even if it's not been used for several weeks. However when ever I've traveled with it internationally.

Have just enabled the GPS on my 7D mk ii for the first time will post back and let you know how long it takes to get initial sat. lock.
      Last edited by Jonathan Teatime; 18-12-2016, 11:10.
      Flickr
      Web Page
      Instagram
      Facebook

Comment

thanks Jonathan

I've read also that it can take some time at first and being moved around can also slow the first connection down

I've left it turned on for sometime, in mode 1/2 connecting every second and flattened the battery so I think you could say gave it more than enough time to connect.

I've spoken to the shop and its going back to be looked at as I'm sure, along with them its not right

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Sound's like you might have a dodgy GPSr, as mine has not been switch on in the 14 months that I've owned the 7D and it took no more than five minutes to get initial sat. lock.

The GPS data comes across embedded in the RAW and shows up at the bottom of all the meta data, there is also a little symbol in the thumb nails that indicates that image contains GPS co-ords.

Check out the attached.

GPS Data.JPG
          Last edited by Jonathan Teatime; 18-12-2016, 11:51.
          Flickr
          Web Page
          Instagram
          Facebook

Comment

thats what I'd like to be seeing ;o(

cheers Jonathan

Comment

If the GPSr is UTS, they'll replace the camera; right?
              Flickr
              Web Page
              Instagram
              Facebook

Comment

yep ...

Comment

Flickr
                  Web Page
                  Instagram
                  Facebook

Comment

Not asking you to comment regarding your payment method Ian, but I always purchase using a credit card to gain the additional liability protection should anything go wrong. Have never actually had to invoke it but still think it is a sensible approach especially when dealing with online suppliers.

Must be extremely frustrating for you - hope it gets resolved quickly.

Comment

I use GPS on my 1dx, I am not at home for a week, but I seem to remember in Lightroom make sure the exif is on, there is a setting that for the GPS data to download and be seen.
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

My 1DX unit takes seconds to initialise
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

The other thing has Adobe updated to recognise the MK 1v

Comment

The problem Ian is having is that the camera itself won't acquire a GPS lock.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                              The problem Ian is having is that the camera itself won't acquire a GPS lock.
                              cheers, its going back when I get home got the all from Canon to replace

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                                this is a new feature for me - I've turned the camera onto GPS and assumed when importing images into lightroom and clicking the map it would just assign locations on the map to the images but it doesn't seem to be working

has anyone with a MKIV set this up with LR ? I'm on LR CC
                                I've been away from the forum for a while and only just picked up on this. It prompted me to check with a few images taken outside the house and I too found that all I got from Lightroom was a blank, white, unresponsive screen. As well as today's shots I also tried some from a couple of years ago from a 6D. The Adobe / LR sources suggested disabling the video card - which made no difference; making sure that the graphics processor option was un-ticked - which it was and, finally, re-installing LR which seemed too much of a pain. I did find that I had missed the option to download a track log to the card - which I duly did. However, although all the indications from the camera were that this had been done (time to load and progress bar on subsequent delete), it did not show in Explorer (WIndows 10)so there was noway to transfer it to LR!

However, I did find that after re-starting LR I the map showed both today's and the older images. Not really very helpful I'm afraid, but (eggs & grandma again!) I suggest that you check that the metadata on your images does show the co-ordinates. If they don't appear, then you will need to check through that forest of menu options to ensure that everything is covered.

I appreciate that this is not very constructive - but it may be that having the Track logger option set "on" is a factor even if you can't see the result, and that making a few changes in LR and then restarting might clear whatever is blocking the images.

Good luck!!

Martin

Comment

Working...
                                X