'Best' Processing Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Best' Processing Software

I have Photoshop CS6, which I needed in my astro-imaging days, but it's not for the feint hearted, as it is quite a learning curve.

For the enthusiastic hobby photographer, it is IMO, very much overkill, as they are most unlikely to use many of the tools and processes it offers.

I use Photoshop Elements 14 pretty much exclusively now, because provides all the tools I need, and has a very good cataloguing programming included with it. It is also a 64bit program.

I also have Lightroom 5, but rarely use it, because Elements can do things that Lightroom can't.

Lightroom is an excellent piece of software but is primarily aimed at professional photographers who have large batches of images to quickly process, and catalogue.

Although I have both Lightroom, and Elements, the latter is my preferred option.

You can download a 30 day free trial, and have a play with it.

Dave
    Dave

Comment

As I think you aren't a fan of complex processing I'd say maybe try one of the Franzis projects software tools, perhaps just wait until Giveawayoftheday.com does a freebie of the last version of Color Projects, for example...

Probably due fairly soon... maybe...

Comment

just to say good luck with this lawsyd, and to those who replied to him, thanks, you have helped me also. opened a thread of my own re lightroom3 before I saw this.

Comment

Richard explained what DPP is in post 7 it is the canon software your camera came with, or you can get it off the web.

Also I would go with the flow and recommend Lightroom, you can download it from Adobe on a trial basis, and see how you get on, you can also take advantage of Google giving away $500 dollars of free software add ons after they took over a company.

NIKS collection ( Google stuff)

Adobe free trial

Access Adobe Creative Cloud apps, services, file management, and more. Sign in to start creating.
          Last edited by TonyT; 24-01-2017, 16:32.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

without a doubt Lightroom, then PS and for more advanced editing Nik (plus its free) plus many of the MacPhun software like Aurora & Tonality - but start with Lightroom first
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

For anyone with serious budget constraints or with a spirit of adventure, then another option is The Gimp. This mature open source software is free but has limited documentation and is not for the faint hearted. However it is quite a capable editor and might be worth a trial.

Comment

Working...
              X