'Best' Processing Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Best' Processing Software

To many on here this will come across as a naive, bordering on 'silly' question, but (in the spirit of Christmas) please try & respond reasonably.

When I was first a keen photographer, 40 or so years ago, few people processed their own (film) work. Some point & shoot photographers sent off their film to a national 'factory' & accepted whatever the technician produced. The keener among us got to know our local camera shop & were able to tell the proprietor (who usually did the photo-processing as well) exactly what type of finished product we were looking for.

In these digital days we are all responsible for our own processing & editing. And here is the rub - all the jargon & stages involved are quite frightening for a man of a certain age who left school a long time before computers belonged to anybody other than a few science geeks.

So, and allowing for fact that I don't want to go pro - just finish in the top 50% of on-line photo competitions, rather than the bottom 10% - can anybody recommend a truly simple software package? I'm prepared to pay & even go on a course (provided it's within fair travelling of my home city), but I don't want to be distracted by a load of (for me) useless actions.

Incidentally, my wife teaches I.T., but much of the processing jargon defeats her as well.

Re: 'Best' Processing Software

If it were me then it would have to be Photoshop Elements or Lightroom.

Neither are exactly simple but pretty much ubiquitous so most advice available on forums, youtube and such like will be geared towards them
    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

I can't really comment on what's "best" as I have limited experience but I think I've learned quite a lot of the basics and a bit more using DPP in conjunction with the e-book from the EOS Magazine shop. The advantage of DPP is that it's free and allows one to get to grips with both post-processing software and some of the terminology without any outlay. I have only been using a DSLR since July, so everything was all very new to me too.

I plan to upgrade to Lightroom in the new year (or as soon as my credit card has room to breathe!) as it seems popular and my impression is that the learning curve is a little easier than Photoshop.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I started with DPP as it came free with my camera. I was happy with the results but, with so many here using Lightoom for processing and extolling the benefits the in-built cataloguing provides, I took the step to Lightroom myself. I spent three months setting 'keywords' (the fundamental reference keys for the cataloguing) for the 30,000+ images I had before I even tried any serious processing and haven't once regretted the move.

There is now a new version of DPP which, it is claimed, has superior sharpening tools and as it's free you may prefer this. But, IMNSHO, the cataloguing that Lightroom provides along with the excellent and easy to learn processing, makes it still the software of choice and, the longer you delay the move to Lightroom, the more pain you'll have to endure going through all those images setting keywords.

Cheers,
        John

PS Don't forget to shoot RAW if not already
        PPS Going on a course shouldn't be necessary as there are so many good tutorials on YouTube.
        Last edited by ColytonJohn; 22-12-2016, 15:02.

Comment

Given the context of the question, then my suggestion would be Photoshop Elements. It's definitely powerful enough to be useful, has a huge user base, reasonable price, plenty of supporting documentation and educational resources.

You might also consider Lightroom but in terms of getting results I would still point you towards Elements as your first package.

Comment

Another vote for Photoshop Elements. It was the first package I bought when I got my first DSLR (the 350D) and has stood me in good stead since. It is cheap (Amazon currently has PSE 15 for £45), I find it relatively straightforward to use but it is surprisingly powerful, and there is a wealth of support available for free, or books you can buy. Plus it comes with an Organiser package that I know many people dislike as it is clunky, but it is functional and will get you going. That said, as mentioned on another thread I am about to step into the world of pain that John refers to in moving to Lightroom, but this is in addition to PSE as I find the ability to utilise layers crucial.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

There is no such thing as a truly simple processing package. They all have fairly steep learning curves. However, it doesn't take that long to learn the most important things.
              Personally I'd suggest using DPP first, assuming you have a camera that is supported then use DPP4. I think a lot of people who scoff at DPP have never tried the latest version. Most people here have probably been using Lightroom/photoshop in one or more guises for years and have become familiar with how they work, other applications may not work in exactly the same way and hence they feel "wrong" to those who have always used the same application. However, they all do essentially the same things, there are limits to the (sensible) adjustments that can be made to an image. If you go for DPP, then I'd recommend the ebook by Nina Bailey "A beginners guide to Canon’s Digital Photo Professional and RAW workflow". It only costs a few pounds and is available to download from the EOS magazine shop. It's as easy an explanation as you will find.

Having said that, I would suggest that if you mainly want to improve your ratings in online competitions, you might look at your photo technique and choice of subjects before worrying too much about processing. You can sometimes improve a good image by processing, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Not that I've seen your images, of course, they might be fine but I always remember the quote from one photographer "If you want to take better photographs, stand in front of more interesting stuff." It's why I don't try landscapes, I don't travel much and the landscapes around here are pretty boring...........
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I would recommend Lightroom as the "first" package. Primarily for its catalog - its so much more intuitive than the one bundled with PSE. I'm totally familiar with Windows directory structures so I can organise my images accordingly e.g Photos/Family/Child1/Event 1 or Photos\Family\Child2\Event2 and so on. Lightroom understands this structure completely and doesn't try to move files. Also - even without keywording - LR offers numerous ways to select a subset of images - by camera and/or by lens, or by date, or star rating etc.etc.

I perform 90%+ of my post-processing in LR and only switch the image into PSE if I need layers (e.g. for selective sharpening)

OK it's a tad more expensive than PSE for a first time user. But it's worth it.
                Russell
                Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

I can guide you into Lightroom if you can get yourself along to Flint . Not to sure about the latest elements but if I'm correct it doesn't contain anywhere to actually store your pics ,Lightroom does .
                  I'm no expert but I have a more than fair grasp of the fundamentals and having shown others I should have basic help sheets on file written in layman language ,and also being a OAP myself it make life easier

Comment

Sorry that I sound like an idiot, but even the term DPP (as written) means nothing to me. Care to explain in 'simple' terms, please?

Comment

Canon software, Digital Photo Professional (DPP)

Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

It should have come on a CD with your camera, but online will be a more up to date version.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                          I can guide you into Lightroom if you can get yourself along to Flint . Not to sure about the latest elements but if I'm correct it doesn't contain anywhere to actually store your pics ,Lightroom does .
                          I'm no expert but I have a more than fair grasp of the fundamentals and having shown others I should have basic help sheets on file written in layman language ,and also being a OAP myself it make life easier
                          That's a very kind & much appreciated offer. I regularly go through / past Flint on the way to the North Wales coast, so know that you aren't much more than an hour away from me. All being well I will contact you shortly after the holidays, if that's OK?

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                            Canon software, Digital Photo Professional (DPP)

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/...rofessional.do
                            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawsyd View Post
                              That's a very kind & much appreciated offer. I regularly go through / past Flint on the way to the North Wales coast, so know that you aren't much more than an hour away from me. All being well I will contact you shortly after the holidays, if that's OK?
                              yep no problem ,helped a few peeps from the forum out in the past ,just send me a p.m on here when your ready

Comment

Working...
                              X