backwards or forwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backwards or forwards

stuck in a little bit of a quandary at the moment ,as a lot of you know i'm mainly a wildlife photographer and due to funding limitations my main lens is the sigma 150-600mm sport . now up until april 2016 i used this in conjunction with a canon 1Dmk3 which while only a 10mp body gave some outstanding pictures .
    now that camera died on me in april and i have moved on to a 80D which although its a lovely camera and shoots at extremely high iso values i find the final pictures lack the bite of the files from the older 1D3 .
    the question now is do i try and source a used 1D3 in the new year and try again keeping the 80D for macro and general purpose work .
    i bring this up after going through some unpublished photos from dec last year with the old combo and then processing them with current methods and finding they jumped out of the screen at me .

no suggestions about other camera/lens choices needed as quiet simply pension funds will not allow it .it's either a used 1D3 or stay as i am .

one from the 80d combo
    what no snow ! by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

one from the 1D3 combo
    tester 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

another 1D3 shot ,the one thing i always said about that camera was how smooth and easy the files were to work with ,not requiring a lot of p/p work at all
    tester 5 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
    Last edited by the black fox; 24-12-2016, 10:49.

Re: backwards or forwards

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
    i find the final pictures lack the bite of the files from the older 1D3 ................I bring this up after going through some unpublished photos from dec last year with the old combo and then processing them with current methods and finding they jumped out of the screen at me .
    I think you've already answered your own question Jeff. A friend of mine recently said the same thing comparing his old 1D3 with his new 7D2. Mind you, he then went out and bought a 1DXmk2.

John

Comment

Cheers John ,I know your right to .will wait till after the silly season before deciding in full

Comment

Must say Jeff do like all the shots above. But the 1d 3 shots are imo are slightly better. I do like the last one.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

Definitely the 1d3

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a bit baffled why Canon never released more cameras with that same sized sensor , I am sure it`s a very capable camera but getting a bit long in the tooth now maybe ? If you can afford to have both I would do that Jeff , if Canon released a new body with that same sized sensor I would definitely have an interest in it .

Comment

You have your answer Jeff. Good hunting for a 1d3

Tom

Comment

My other option would be a 1Dmkiv ,but unfortunately decent copies are still holding there price at well over a grand

Comment

Jeff was the 1DMKlV , the last body released with the 1.3 sensor ?

Comment

Yep that's the one mark ,the next release the 1Dx was full frame , from experience the reach of 1.3 crop H sensor is not that different to the 1.6 C sensor of all the consumer models, but gives superior results
                    Last edited by the black fox; 24-12-2016, 20:45.

Comment

ok , thanks Jeff .

Comment

Jeff - worth a look?

John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                          Cheers John already looking on there and several other sellers of used equipment , I have to be carefull with my spending due to pension constraints ,so we shall see ,I also think that prices have been inflated somewhat due to xmas .no rush it will happen

Comment

Interested to see your change of heart Jeff, after you've been praising the 80D and showing great pictures with it for the past few months I must admit I can't really see the difference on the images you've posted. Mind you, I've never subscribed to the idea that a camera becomes "obsolete" once a new one comes out. If it produced good images five years ago, it will do exactly the same today.
                            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

i'll still be keeping the 80d richard (at this moment in time anyway)theres probably not that much in it but i can see the slight difference .still not totally committed so we shall see

Comment

Working...
                              X