Camera controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera controls

So, just because you can do it all electronically, should you?

I picked up a Fuji X-E1 and 18mm lens from MPB yesterday - cheap as chips though they don't appear for sale as often as the Canons and Nikons of the world. The major controls are pretty much all manual with an aperture ring on the lens, a nice knurled dial for shutter speed and a smaller but just as usable one for exposure compensation.

Set the lens and body to A and you get program mode. Set the Lens to an aperture with the shutter dial on A and you get aperture priority. Shutter dial to a speed and Aperture on A gives you shutter priority. Set both shutter priority and aperture to values and you're in manual mode. There's none of this faffing around with mode selectors and command dials, it's all just there in front of you.

So when did the rest of the world move away from this intuitive method of working? Oh, and having a histogram in the EVF when you take a shot is a massive advantage...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Camera controls

Yes the user interface is simple isn't it...Ive had the XT-1, XPro1, X-M1 and eventually sold them all to invest in canon equipment. despite the simple user interface the drawbacks as a system are lack of dedicated flash and hi sync flash and slow auto focus.....its a shame because the concept is wonderful...just as it was with old manual DSLRs. My reason for swapping out of fuji was that I started to get paid for some work -weddings and industrial...and when you need your kit to perform with least possible limitations then Fuji doesn't have the answer yet.
    Oh...and the processing can be difficult....foliage especially with regard to earlier xtrans sensors. They have excellent lenses......in fact not a bad one amongst them....my favourite was the XF35mm f1.4. The only fuji I have now is X70 compact with APSC sensor.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
    X