Connect Station CS100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect Station CS100

I have just installed a CS100 for storage of my images. I am wanting to arrange back up of the stored images, and had thought that could be done to a second CS100. However, the instructions don't appear to provide for that method, they just talk about using a 1Tb external hard drive, with mains power only, not USB powered.
    Has anyone who actually has a CS100 come across this and found a simple solution please?
    Quentin

Re: Connect Station CS100

I don't believe it - 139 views, over 10,000 members, and no-one has offered an opinion!!! Surely I am not the only member using a CS100?
    Quentin

Comment

I didn't know what a CS100 was but when Google informed me that it's a "narrow-body, twin-engine, medium-range jet airliner" I felt that any advice on backing one up would be beyond me. Perhaps e-mail Bombardier who manufacture them?

Cheers,
      John

Comment

I was one of the 139, but not a clue what a CS100 is.

Just found this page http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/prod...storage/cs100/

Never knew they existed. Comments at bottom aren't encouraging.
        Last edited by antoeknee; 03-01-2017, 21:07.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
          ... Surely I am not the only member using a CS100?
          Quentin
          Sorry Quentin but, from what I've just seen on the link antoknee provided, I suspect you may well be as I for one wouldn't have bought one.

It has all the hallmarks of a big company thinking they have the need, clout and right to reinvent the wheel. Other than the wireless camera connection (which would probably be slow) it really has far fewer redeeming features than a simple USB3 external drive and at £215 for a tiny 1TB drive? My 4TB USB3 drives were £100 each!

That said it does appear you have options to backup to the cloud (Google Drive?) or connect an external USB drive but you will be required to use the clunky user interface to achieve anything (what's wrong with drag and drop?) and the backup drive will not be usable for anything else.

No, there are far better products and solutions out there. Send it back would be my advice.

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
            Has anyone who actually has a CS100 ...
            I am also one of the 139 but did not reply because I don't have a CS100. There may be some who will find the device meets a specific requirement - possibly a backup option for instance when travelling - but as others have said I don't see it as a good solution to the general image storage market.

I think a solution based around workflow would be worth exploring. Use an organiser such as PSE or LR to manage your images on computer storage - which could be internal or external - and then use generic backup procedures to provide failure recovery.

In my case, I use a MacBook with LR which in turn uses Time Machine to backup automatically to two AirPorts - one of which is located in the house next door. In addition to this I periodically copy from my MacBook to external 1TB drives which are then kept as last-resort recovery options.

If you are still within a returns window then you might want to consider an alternative solution. If you are now beyond the return date then obviously try to make best use of the device but I would not recommend using it as the basis for your overall image storage solution.

Apologies if this is discouraging, genuinely trying to offer what I feel is best advice.

Comment

There's a mention of the CS100 in the July - Sep issue of the magazine, in the section on viewing images on TV. They say "Every time we use it we find new features" but unfortunately don't say what they are. I do think it's designed to be used as much for viewing on TV etc as for simple storage.

I want to get a new external HDD but every single make or model I look up on Amazon has at least 10% very bad reviews, with total failure within a few weeks or months. That includes the well-known brands such as Seagate and Western Digital, statistically there seems to be no difference between any of them.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I've 2 Samsung 3TB drives for storage/backup. These have been in daily use since purchase June 2013.

Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                  I want to get a new external HDD but every single make or model I look up on Amazon has at least 10% very bad reviews, with total failure within a few weeks or months. That includes the well-known brands such as Seagate and Western Digital, statistically there seems to be no difference between any of them.
                  Over the last 15 years I have tended to use what started as IBM and was subsequently sold to Hitachi for my storage. I have quite a few from the G-Drive range and have been happy with them. I always regard drives as failures which have yet to happen and mitigate the risk through array solutions or multiple separate drives. Personally I also put a 5 year life on my drives after which I no longer consider them reliable.

Perhaps ironically, the only time I have ever had a significant data loss was when I accidentally did a low-level format on an array. Suffice to say that the low-level format did an excellent job of clearing the disks ... I console myself with the thought that most of the images lost were from my earlier days and probably not the greatest of losses.

Comment

Think that will apply to everything you look at these days one reviewer gives an item 5 stars the next reviewer gives it 1 star
                    I'll just say I've used 4 external hard drives over the years form Seagate WD and none have given me any problems.

If you want speed make sure its a 7200rpm rather than the slower 5400rpm.

As for the CS100 its also something i wasn't aware existed?

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Think I've posted before that when I was a network manager at a school we had 750+ machines that were used practically every day. One HD failure in a year was quite unusual. In 15 years we only had one year where 2 failed in the same year.

If like me you use 2 drives, one to backup the other, you'd be massively unlucky to have both fail at the same time.

There have been times in the past when certain manufacturers had high rates of failure. BlazeBack has for some time published reliability data, but its data is somewhat misleading for a number of reasons, sample size, drives running in data centre 24/7 etc.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments!
                        I'm surprised that so few forum members were aware of the CS100 Connect Station (it has been featured in EOS Magazine amongst others!) - less surprised at some of the negative comments.
                        Truly grateful to the those who have offered constructive alternative suggestions. It does all I want of it, I just wanted to be able to 'back it up' in case of disaster, and I now have some ideas to pursue.
                        Quentin

Comment

Working...
                        X