Tips for photography in cold conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for photography in cold conditions

I'm off to Austria next week for the finale of the 4 Hills Ski Jumping tournament. I'm staying in a village called Pfarrwerfen which is in the foothills of the Alps.

The scenery is stunning so I'm hoping to take some good shots as well as enjoying the Ski Jumping.

Does anyone have any tips for using a DSLR in conditions of -5 degrees or so and what precautions I need to take regarding care of my gear?

Thanks in advance
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/philip...h/29882985703/

Re: Tips for photography in cold conditions

Your batteries may not last as long at low temperatures. Keep spare batteries in an inside pocket to keep them as warm as possible before use. Think also about temperature changes to try and avoid condensation issues. Have a fantastic trip!

Comment

Don't breathe near the lens!
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I have taken my camera skiing before now with no problems (apart from the obvious risk of injuring yourself and your kit...). Watch out for misting up going indoors after the cold.
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
          I have taken my camera skiing before now with no problems (apart from the obvious risk of injuring yourself and your kit...). Watch out for misting up going indoors after the cold.
          I have an ancient Canon S10 that I use for skiing. All metal case and about size of a packet of cigarettes. All of 2.1 MP!

Screen on the back looks tiny (about 4x3cm). Battery lasts ages and 1GB card is enough for approx 1300 images.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I won't actually be skiing! Just taking a few landscape shots in the morning then off to the Ski Jumping stadium in the afternoon......to watch

Have I read somewhere to put the camera in a sealed plastic bag before going indoors to the warm thus preventing condensation? Or am I dreaming again?

Comment

Don't forget to keep yourself warm too!
              Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Comment

Originally posted by Jedicolin View Post
                Don't forget to keep yourself warm too!
                the Glühwein will do that

Comment

Originally posted by CanonPhilip View Post
                  ... Have I read somewhere to put the camera in a sealed plastic bag before going indoors to the warm thus preventing condensation? Or am I dreaming again?
                  That's definitely worth doing - and also when you first leave somewhere warm for a significantly colder place.

Martin

Comment

The RPS has a feature on this in their current magazine. In addition to the above it says your camera will normalise if kept in a photography bag in about an hour of being in the cold ....also suggests keeping the camera in the fridge overnight....apparently some people do that. Shouldn't be a problem as the fridge is around +4C.....not the freezer section of course.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                      also suggests keeping the camera in the fridge overnight....apparently some people do that. Shouldn't be a problem as the fridge is around +4C.
                      If you do anything to chill the camera remember not to leave the battery in.

Comment

Stick the spare battery in your Undies to keep it warm.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                        X