Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod advice

Happy new year to you all.

I thought I would get up early today and get some shots in the fog. Packed all my gear into car and when I arrived at my location I found I only had 2 legs on my tripod. It was an old tripod but didn't help me in the fog.
    My question is what tripods do you recommend. Budget of about £140. Fed up of cheaper nasties and thought this was an ok price for an ok tripod. Any recommendations would be great. I see so many brands on Amazon but never heard of them before. Cheap China makes I suppose. Been looking on Jessops and park cameras but not sure what to get.
    It would be to cope with a canon 6d and 70-300 lens.
    Thanks in advance

Nick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Canon 6d, Canon EOS 70d. Canon 24-70f4 L, Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 17-85mm. 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Tamron 70-300mm di vc usm. Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro. Lots of enthusiasm and never enough time.

Re: Tripod advice

I use Manfrotto (Aluminium version), but there are many other makes that I'm probably unaware of.
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I use a Velbon DF61, which has done me well, fairly robust, spirit level, adjustable legs & lots of angle adjustments.

Comment

I picked up a manfrotto 055 s/h on the WEX (warehouse express) site to replace my previous Benbo like uniloc tripod which was sturdy and versatile but a fiddle to set up.
        I would recommend the manfrotto, mine is aluminium, but if money is tight you can try the uniloc as I live near Portsmouth and work at Chichester and if you find it suitable you could buy it for a nominal sum.

Neal

Comment

£140 will buy you a Manfrotto tripod, I have the 190XPRO which is very good, the 055 are pretty much the same price and there's not a lot of difference. I went for one of these because of the way you can pull up the centre column and rotate it to horizontal which means I can get very low to the ground.
          However, the price is for the tripod without head. If you have a detachable head already, that would save a good bit of money, but if you need to buy a new head that would exclude these ones within your budget.
          I spent a long time looking on Amazon, but as usual 80% of people give 5 stars for a lot of tripods, but then 10% or so give one star and say it's rubbish, can't support the weight, leg locks broke, or whatever. I couldn't find one of the cheaper ones that didn't have at least some really negative comments. So I went for the Manfrotto in the end.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I have been using the aluminium Manfrotto 055 for some time now and its been really great but recently I've been feeling my age and splashed out on the 055 carbon fibre model and 410 the head, my advice is to buy the most expensive one you can even if it means waiting for a while until you can afford a better one, buy once, easier said than done i know but I've fallen into this trap many times before and regretted it later down the line, all the best.

Sean.

Comment

I use an Aluminium Manfrotto...excellent...though I cut the centre column down so I could get low (height was not a problem).
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Another vote for Manfrotto although there are definitely other quality brands worthy of consideration.

Comment

I have the Manfrotto 055 in carbon fibre. A great tripod and very sturdy given its weight
                  Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I have just bought a Feisol, I have their Monopod and was so impressed with it I bought one of their Carbon Fibre Tripods, and is it light.. Have a look on Ebay, as the chap that used to be the UK importer has had a change of circumstances, so is flogging off all of his stock, I bought one off him.

check out the reviews

Intelligent search from Bing makes it easier to quickly find what you’re looking for and rewards you.

I bought one of these (440 Euros) but was an ex demo and is faultless and unmarked for £200 with all the bits, bar the box. Will support my 500mm, see

Last edited by TonyT; 02-01-2017, 20:16.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Another one for the Manfrotto 190XPRO.
                      Malcolm.
                      760D
                      EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
                      Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
                      EF 70-300 IS USM
                      Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
                      YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have now purchased a manfrotto 190go and am very happy with the quality and sturdiness. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Canon 6d, Canon EOS 70d. Canon 24-70f4 L, Canon 70-200 f4 L, Canon 17-85mm. 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, Tamron 70-300mm di vc usm. Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro. Lots of enthusiasm and never enough time.

Comment

Working...
                        X