problem with sigma 15-600 c, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with sigma 15-600 c, any ideas?

I am guessing that my lens needs repairing but am wondering if anybody would know what exactly the problem is:

I use a 7d mark ii with the sigma 150-600 c and basically it will take a couple of images then all stops. It states an error on the body but no number but it seems as if the body is having problems recording the last image taken. The main issue is how the lens captures the image as shown below. Focus is OK and curiously the problem does not occur at 150. Issue as far as I can tell is not with the body as everything works fine with other lenses.

Any ideas?

150.jpg

image at 150mm

500.jpg

image at 500mm

600.jpg

image at 600mm

cheers for any help.

Re: problem with sigma 15-600 c, any ideas?

Would agree that looks like a lens problem , it looks like your zooming as your shooting ?

Comment

I seem to recall something similar a while back where someone was seeing the same kind of distortion due to camera settings. Sorry but I can't recall more than that...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

i had a focus problem (allegedly) with my sport lens before xmas .but it turned out to be me that had caused it by inadvertently turning off focus search in the settings .i.e lens drive when af impossible .should be set to 0: continue focus search .

only a simple error but i couldn't find it and then you go into panic mode .sit down write out all your focus settings and post them on here ,so others can check against them ,the 7D2 is a overly complicated camera imho and this could well be it .the reason its not happening to other lens could be down to the fact they let in more light .

it might even be your simply trying to shoot in a to dark situation ,the lights been crap for a couple of weeks now some of my shots have needed iso6400 and still only got 1/200th sec

we also cannot see any exif info in these shots which would have helped to analyse them

Comment

Think Jeff is right recall something similar. If his guess is right restoring default settings should resolve the issue. Of if possible try on another body.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Sorted thank god, and thankfully only a software clash I think. Had recently updated the bodies firmware which had obviously caused friction because after disabling the 'lens aberration correction' stuff, everything went back to normal. Good effect though if ever I needed it.

Cheers for the replys and your suggestion fox,

Comment

My, I think back to the day when snapping pics was simple. Slap a lens on the camera, load film and focus with the eye. Was it
              better I keep asking myself. It was certainly simpler with less panic. Am I getting to old lol.

Comment

No treff, if they sold modern cameras ( digital) with just the basic controls I'd also be happier, only got this new 7d for the shutter speed have disabled all the other gizmo's on the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                  My, I think back to the day when snapping pics was simple. Slap a lens on the camera, load film and focus with the eye. Was it
                  better I keep asking myself. It was certainly simpler with less panic. Am I getting to old lol.
                  Switch to manual, turn off AF and you're close. Focusing could be an issue as the screens aren't really that good for manual focusing, don't have the aids, microprism and rangefinder.

Personally the biggest drawback would be the stuck with one ISO!
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Glad your sorted Paul ,it's like a mutual help society on here lately glad it worked out o.k ,that saved you time and aggravation

Comment

Glad that's sorted, I'm contemplating getting the "c" for carrying up hills as it's a fair bit lighter than the sport apparently. Waiting for Jessops to get both in stock so I can have a play. Still looking for a f2.8 lens as well, hoping to try the 120-300 sigma if someone near me will get one in stock.
                      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

The C version is two thirds the weight of the Sport, that's a kilogram lighter, it still feels pretty heavy when I'm lugging it about!
                        The 120 - 300 F2.8 is even heavier than the 150 - 600 Sport, not something I'd like to carry far.
                        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks Rich, the 120-300 sport would be primarily used in a hide, possibly on a tripod, looking at gimbals and heads just now and a new tripod, expensive hobby this togging.

Comment

Jobu make some good gimbals ,and the best c/f tripods are feisol neither brand well known but will work well . Personally I would go for a canon 300mm f2.8 rather than the front heavy sigma ,even I couldn't hold the 120-300 steady when the lad had one .not even good iq from it either ,don't forget as well that everything will then need standardising with the same arca type tripod plates,unless you go manfrotto and there plates are very expensive
                            Last edited by the black fox; 03-01-2017, 12:05.

Comment

Thanks Jeff, just looking and you know I take an age to make my mind up lol. Not even seen the 2.8 sigma, let alone handle it, but I think the contempory could be ordered pretty soon as I liked the feel and weight of that when I handled one at Calumet in Edinburgh before Xmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X