80D a/f area selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80D a/f area selection

i used to love the A/F on the 1D3 where you could jump from single point to a all encompassing ring of fire with just one button push and then straight back again with another push ,the 80d with its four button push system is prehistoric by comparison
    The quote above is from Jeff (black fox). Although I've already made some comments on this issue on another topic, I feel it would be useful to set out the situation as I see it under a new heading. I hope I've understood Jeff's comment correctly.

The 1D Mk III has only two choices for a/f, either manual selection 1 pt or auto selection 45 pt. Naturally, with a choice of only two alternatives it's easy to switch between them with a single button push.

The 80D offers more choice, with four alternatives, the two above plus large or small zone. I can't imagine how Canon or anyone else could implement a system where you can select from four alternatives with one button push. If anyone can, I'd be most interested to hear.

However, with C.Fn II -8, you can choose which of the four alternatives you want, and if you deselect the two middle choices (small and large zone) you are then left with manual selection 1 pt or auto selection 45 pt. A single button push then switches between them.which is the same as the 1D Mk III, as far as I can tell.

The 80D is a lovely lady and I felt obliged to defend her honour. Prehistoric? No, just sophisticated. The more I learn to tickle her in the right places, the better she responds.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Re: 80D a/f area selection

I nice and useful response there Richard ,sometimes the obvious solution simply eludes the train of thought .i will be implementing this into my settings later. Just got to decide which options will work the best .i think with the reach of the sigma that I will actually go with single point and 9 point as being the two most useful ones .
    You got to love this forum even the most inane comments turn up useful info .thanks rich your never to old to learn

Comment

P.s put this in to settings last night ,works a treat to .thats taken away the most annoying aspect of this camera ,I have put in 9 point as the second one for now but it's easily changed to 45 point ,many thanks Richard

Comment

Jeff, with the micro a/f adjustment and this you seem to have all of the issues covered now, I spent a dark, wet 1st Jan. going through all of the features of the 80D and checking them out, amazing what you can change when you delve into them. Some that I still can't see any point in though, I assume they must be useful to somebody. I'm more convinced than ever that the 80D is the best buy at present, especially as it's at £769 now, if you include cashback.
        I also set 9 point as the alternative to single, but only changed this for C1 where I have the autofocus options set for the Sigma 150 - 600 as suggested by you a while ago. Having C1 and C2 is a great help when you want to make changes for special situations but retain options for others.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

How are you moving the A.F point around the screen without the little joystick on the back of the camera ?

Comment

The big wheel on the rear is multi function mark ,just touch the outer camera button to activate and then move focus point anywhere .the outer wheel also does the exp comp

Comment

Do you find it a bit fiddly Jeff ? I know you mentioned elsewhere it was a bit awkward to move the focus point accurately and quickly .

Comment

Moving the focus point horizontally is quicker as you use the main control dial on the top, whereas to move it vertically you use the wheel on the back. To move in either direction or diagonally you press the pointers on the multi controller around the rear wheel, not easy if you have a big thumb, I'd guess. I expect the joystick is quicker, but that's one of the ways in which Canon distinguishes between its enthusiast and professional ranges. They have to I should say, to justify the £400 difference between the 80D and the 7D MK2.
                Whichever method, I reckon I'd miss more shots than I'd improve if I try changing a/f points on a moving target, just one too many things to think about.

Comment

Yes it's a bit fiddly and nowhere near as quick as a joystick ,but with thought and anticipation it does at least work .

Comment

Working...
                  X