Hello from Staffordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Staffordshire

Hi everybody, just wanted to introduce myself to you. I've been interested in digital photography since I bought a second hand 30D and like everyone else soon found that your treasured camera and lens, Ef 17-85, can't do the things you want and your eyes start looking through magazines for that little bit extra which resulted in a 7D, a 70-200 and. 400 5.6 and then as I became more and more into bird photography a Sigma 500 bought from a mate who'd bought a second hand Canon 500, way out of my league. Then tragedy, my house was broken into and everything was stollen. The only thing I got back, recovered by the police from a cash converter was my Sigma.
    Started again with a 5D III a first step into full frame but slow, replaced my lenses and still not happy. Bought a 7D II, which technically was all singing and dancing compared to the 5D III. Better on noise control than my old 7D but still not up to the 5D III, but that burst rate left the 5D III trailing and birds in flight wow I could rattle then off. To be honest though, zoom in on a 5D III shot compared to the crop factor 7D II and it was as good if not better. By now I'd justified, to myself anyway a Canon 500 and I was in heaven. Next thing I found was my trusty 400 f5.6 although amazing quality was sometimes too long a focal length for wildlife and all of a sudden I had the new 100-400 mkII and it worked well with the 1.4 mkIII extender which appeared in my kit bag.
    You never stop looking for that next bit of kit and of course I'm then looking at a 1DX mkII. All I can say is it's a fantastic camera body which pairs beautifully with the 100-400 with the 1.4 on. My 7D II and 5D III sit patiently waiting for a trip out.
    My only problem now is I'm an active 68 year old but how long will i be able to carry all this stuff around.
    Hope I haven't bored you, look forward to exploring the forums and I'm old enough to know that you never know it all and you're never to old to learn. Something I'm looking forward to.
    7D II, 5D III, 1DX mkII, 50mm f1.8II, 24-70 f4, 70-200 f4 IS, 100mm f2.8 IS Macro, 400 f5.6, 100-400 mkII, 500 f4 IS, EF 1.4 mkIII, Sigma f4.5 500, Gitzo Sysrtemic GT4542LS, Wimberley WH 200 ver.II,
    Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head, Manfrotto Neotec Tripod, Metz 58 AF-1 Flash

Re: Hello from Staffordshire

Welcome to the forum G.A.S is a terrible thing to catch and always leaves you wanting more ,it's even harder as you probably know already when your on a pension ,there's a very active group in the nature/ birds section so feel free to post some pics

Comment

Welcome Mike, we're a friendly bunch. Enjoy.
      Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mike

Tom

Comment

Hello Mike,

I'm an avid bird photographer myself and quite new here, as well. Hope to see some of your shots.

Tony

Comment

Good morning Mike, welcome along
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Hi Mike, and welcome aboard.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

Welcome Mike , I am not a million miles away from you in Telford and I look forward to seeing some of your images soon
                Steve ( LSINWP )
                1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Welcome Mike....looking forward to seeing your work on here...
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for your welcome everyone. I'm sure I will find it very interesting being part of the forum
                    7D II, 5D III, 1DX mkII, 50mm f1.8II, 24-70 f4, 70-200 f4 IS, 100mm f2.8 IS Macro, 400 f5.6, 100-400 mkII, 500 f4 IS, EF 1.4 mkIII, Sigma f4.5 500, Gitzo Sysrtemic GT4542LS, Wimberley WH 200 ver.II,
                    Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head, Manfrotto Neotec Tripod, Metz 58 AF-1 Flash

Comment

Welcome Mike.... the 500 is a peach isn't it :) as it the 1DX
                      what you need is one of these next
                      :)

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                      X