X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost photos

Originally posted by Lynjon View Post
    [PS - what is "p.p"?]
    Post-Processing ... basically any manipulation done after the image has been transferred off the camera.

Comment

the only safeguards i can think of is download to your mac after every trip ,never format a card till you have made certain there on display on the mac .

just a afterthought here have you checked your re-cycle /rubbish bin to see if there in there ,though if you have cleared it i don't think you can recover the files from there

might be worth checking your i-cloud and creative cloud to just in case the i-mac has done something without you realising and there hidden away
      __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
      THIS MIGHT WORK
      or try this one go into your delete bin and from drop down menu select " all my files " its clutching at straws but that have to have gone somewhere

just actually tried that myself with a empty bin and it looks like every shot i have taken shows up ,thats where i would start to look before paying any money out
      Last edited by the black fox; 05-01-2017, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynjon View Post
        One last thought on this issue: Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to avoid this kind of problem in the future? Given that it is clearly possible for an SD card to give up the ghost at any time, does anyone follow a routine of, say, downloading images every day to another medium, like a back-up drive, just in case a problem arises with an SD card?
        Downloading to a backup computer (or portable storage device) each day is the best solution but, if you don't have one or don't want to lug yet another piece of equipment around the best suggestion for security I have is to use multiple SD cards: they are cheap so use a different one each day and that way you'd only lose a day's worth should you have a repeat failure. Also, I only reformat my cards when I'm confident the precious images reside on at least two hard drives.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
          Downloading to a backup computer (or portable storage device) each day is the best solution but, if you don't have one or don't want to lug yet another piece of equipment around the best suggestion for security I have is to use multiple SD cards: they are cheap so use a different one each day and that way you'd only lose a day's worth should you have a repeat failure. Also, I only reformat my cards when I'm confident the precious images reside on at least two hard drives.

Cheers,
          John
          Agree with John, multiple cards especially where its a once in lifetime trip. I plan to do this for a trip, write to both cards (CF and SD) and new cards each day. Hopefully there should be little chance of losing any images this way.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks to everyone for these incredibly helpful posts. A very good experience for my first EOS posting. I'll keep an eye out for future postings and update the forum if I get any further info (or if - optimist that I am - I actually recover any of my missing photos).

Lynton

Comment

One other thing you may try which I have not seen mentioned although i have terrible habit of speed reading. Pop the card into the reader and open it from your desk top to see whats there. Also make sure none of the files are hidden. Click on info and you'll get an idea of how much of the card as been used. Good luck. If this as already been mentioned my apologies .

Comment

There is some software that has a Mac Version
                Stellar Phoenix - SD Card Recovery. They have a free download that can check the card and you can review any photos that can be recovered, but you'll need to purchase to get the full functionality to save the recovered images, but will at least show if there are any images still on the card.

their website is : https://www.stellarinfo.com/gbp/phot...FWgW0wodh4QKBQ

good luck.

John

Comment

Thanks John. I tried this software (I'll try anything right now) and it did indeed find a few photos, but only 9 old ones, considerably fewer that the Sandisk Recovery Pro program. And, sadly, none were the missing late December 2016 photos. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lynton

Comment

have you checked in your bin as i suggested .i was surprised to see all my deleted stuff in there after emptying

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      have you checked in your bin as i suggested .i was surprised to see all my deleted stuff in there after emptying
                      Yes, I did, thanks, and the missing images were not there.

Comment

That is a very sad 2017 story... I hope you are successful. My routine is to download photographs to my MacBook Air every night, and if the wifi is good enough synch that with DropBox, or copy to an external drive.

Good luck

Richard
                        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I use Lightroom to import all my photos after each shoot - within Lightroom, I have it set to create a second copy on a Network drive I have, that Network drive is also set to back up to another Network drive overnight.

Over cautious I know, but that means I have the original which I saved locally to laptop to work on, a copy and then a back up of that. When I have finished with local copy, I then move this onto another network drive.
                          Andy
                          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Had my last chance of finding the files today, when I did a really deep search with LC Technology's SanDisk FileRecovery2016 program. This seems to be a very strong program and it recovered nearly 2500 photos that I had taken on that disk over the last several months (and downloaded to my Mac a long time ago). But it did not find my missing late Dec photos. Very mysterious. And very sad.

Lynton
                            Bodies: EOS 6D, EOS M5.
                            Lenses: EF 17- 40mm f/4.00L; EF 24 -104mm f/4.0L; EF 50mm f/1.4;
                            EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II, EF-M 18 - 150 mm (awaiting)
                            Processing on a Mac.
                            Last edited by Lynjon; 06-01-2017, 15:17. Reason: correcting data

Comment

Are you sure it was that disk then and not another one??? as most surprised it can find some older ones and not your December ones.

Silly thought but does the camera have a cache that it might have saved to?
                              Andy
                              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                              [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

It's no help to recover your lost pictures but have you made sure you don't have the camera set up to shoot without a card in it?
                                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
                                X