SHOWCASE 2016 - OPEN FOR ENTRIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SHOWCASE 2016 - OPEN FOR ENTRIES

Andy...I'm sure the low response has nothing to do with you...
    the only things I can offer regarding why - is that I found the instructions a bit laborious to go through, maybe they could be simplified into bullet points....and sending by email, especially for Mac users who had to zip files is a minor hurdle.

Yes it would be nice if there was a prize supported by the site....but that doesn't influence me.
    thanks again!
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
      Andy...I'm sure the low response has nothing to do with you...
      the only things I can offer regarding why - is that I found the instructions a bit laborious to go through

Yes it would be nice if there was a prize supported by the site....!
      agree, plus I've been flat out with work so not had time to look at this, had the submission been more straight forward then yes
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Andy, I know from personal experience just how thankless and unappreciated organising clubs, associations or activities on a voluntary basis can seem but I think we're all grateful for your efforts in running this competition for us.

Sadly, I must hold my hand up and say that I too failed to enter due to the submission rules I had preselected the images I wanted to make the final cut from but simply didn't have time to reduce the image and file sizes and check EXIF data. That was a great disappointment to me as I think my standard has improved over the last year and I wanted to see how it stood up to comparison with others whose work I have great respect for. Sorry!

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Andy,

Just to echo others, I'd like to add my thanks too although I'll be honest that I'm not as prolific a poster as some.

As to why there were relatively few entries, I think the EOS Forum has so many sections with quite a lot of topics in each & I'll admit I almost stumbled across this competition by chance; not sure if there is way to make it more prominent in future?

As to prizes, doesn't bother me, but on a forum I used to be an admin on we used to have a (very small) trophy for the end of year competition winner - literally cost a fiver or so. Perhaps the winner each year could agree to pay for the following year's trophy although I appreciate might be difficult to arrange. I wonder if the magazine might like to 'sponsor' the competition with a small prize/voucher/subscription perhaps?
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Firstly, may I just say that every year I usually write to the magazine and they have been extremely forthcoming in offering the years subscription as a prize - unfortunately this year I have had a lot of personal and family things to deal with (I wont go into detail), which has meant no time to do such things, but I said at the start of the year and throughout I would be back to run the competition so a man of my word, I come back to do it. Personally, I have not managed to take any photos myself in 2016 but I'm hoping that will change for 2017.

As for the criteria, it has been the same every year for the photos and submissions. (I appreciate that the mac email issue is a pain - but not sure why that has changed to be like that in the last couple of years as was ok in the first year I did the competition).

Trouble with file size is - the file size - if everyone sent me full jgs not reduced, then my inbox would cram full so quickly and then reject others due to full inbox.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
            EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
            [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

To all that whinged and moaned and haven't entered - SHAME ON YOU - it took no effort to read through the criteria and to follow the child friendly instructions, it's a bit of fun for us ALL to join in and enjoy - or so I thought.

Ahh well - it was good while it lasted. My thanks go to Andy in advance, hope you manage to get back to where you want to be and look forward to seeing your portfolio grow once again

.DAVID.
              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

To all that whinged and moaned and haven't entered - SHAME ON YOU - it took no effort to read through the criteria and to follow the child friendly instructions, it's a bit of fun for us ALL to join in and enjoy - or so I thought.

Well said David, l couldn't agree more.

Comment

Whilst I really do appreciate the sentiment etc, I don't want this to cause any rifts / arguments between posters / forum members. I appreciate that some may have had reasons not to enter and would rather we just had constructive discussion on how to improve the competition for the forum going forward OR has this annual showcase run its course never to be seen again?
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                  EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Andy,

I think the question to be asked - probably of the forum admin - is how many active members are there? I would be surprised if there are more than 50 active members.

Once that figure is available then I think it would put the response in context.

My own feeling is that there are not enough active members to support the number of categories in the competition.

I don't think a material prize is needed - the incentive of simply being voted a winner by peers should be sufficient.

I think keeping the entries anonymous during voting is a good idea even if it causes some burden.

Perhaps a longer submission window - say to end of January - might help.

Nothing intended to be critical of anyone - just my objective opinion.

Comment

To be honest, I would say let's worry about the 2017 Showcase when the time comes; no need to decide now whether or not it will/should happen. I suggest we just enjoy this year's, even with the fewer entries, then in Oct or Nov I'm sure someone will pop up and raise whether people want to hold one and if enough want to, see if anyone wants to take it on (Andy has done more than his fair share! ). Once we know we are having one we can tinker with the rules and/or categories as we see fit.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks.

The only reason why I'm asking now is it is fresh in everyones mind as to why they haven't entered. I am not pointing fingers or anything here but there are some regular contributors who openly requested / discussed the rule changes last time, but for some reason haven't entered this time - now I know there may be reasons, but whilst its fresh, any constructive criticism can be considered now I think.

Enigma - there was some statistics last year given that assisted with the rule changes for minimum number of posts requirement so it was active members.

I understand Tiggers point re the entry requirements for file size etc, but again - any constructive ideas on how this can be changed would be appreciated whilst its fresh in peoples minds :)

PS - I am hoping that the categories will be up later (although out for a meal in a minute) or tomorrow at some point - this will then give 48 hours for those that have entered time to check they are happy with the quality uploaded (as previous years sometimes a problem occurred) and to check that I have their details correct (title), and their entry is actually there and Ive not missed it out.

After that 48 hours is then passed (or a little longer), I will start the voting process - voting will last about a week to give time for everyone to look and decide on their votes.

Thanks,
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Working...
                        X