Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SHOWCASE 2016 - OPEN FOR ENTRIES

I KNOW ITS LONG – BUT PLEASE READ IT ALL IF ENTERING:

As some of you may know and noticed, I have again not been around this year due to personal reasons, but I have returned so I can spend some unearthly hours of time sorting out the competition for you all :LOL: HOWEVER, please be patient with me in between entries / voting and winners announced etc as my main priority is finding a job and my family/health.

Entries can now be made with immediate effect. Please ensure you read the entire post regarding entries, rules etc.

Good luck everyone - let's have some fun.

The Idea:
    Started a few years ago by a member “Graydon”, this is an ideal opportunity to share our best photos of the year, and because the theme and time span are so wide, the quality should as in previous years be very high! I am certainly looking forward to seeing the best you have. For people who like a little bit of a challenge this may be a good way to finish the year. If you don’t like competitions you can just enjoy looking at other peoples work.

In brief:
    Choose up to a maximum of five of your best images, any theme or style. Ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge and the file size no more than 1Meg in size. The EXIF data must be kept intact. The images must have been taken by you using a Canon EOS camera between 1st January 2016 and 31st December 2016 and be in jpeg format. The images will be posted in a temporary album after the entry closing date (see Rule 1 below) when people can submit votes for their favourites – Everyone can be a ‘judge’ – you’re voting for the best pictures in your opinion. All votes will remain anonymous from everyone else – only you and the organiser will know your votes – no one else.

Prize:
    I have not had time to arrange a prize or anything this year sorry - so you are just entering for fun and the right to use “Winner of the EOS-Magazine-Forum - xxx Category 2016" or "...End of Year Showcase - 2016” in forum signature. But you don’t have to... It's all for fun.

Rules:
    Entry:
    1. You must be a registered user of the eos-magazine-forum with an overall total minimum post count of 10 as at 30 November 2016.

2. Photos must have been taken (dated in EXIF) between 1st January 2016 and 31st December 2016 inclusive and arrive in the organisers inbox (entry details advised below) before midnight on the Friday 20th January 2017 (UK time) – you have just over two weeks. Voting will then commence shortly afterwards (to be announced) and be open for a period of one week – a new thread will provide instructions at that time along with where to view the entries.

3. You must be the photographer who created the image(s) and have all relevant permissions for the picture to be published publically in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous (No water marks or distinguishing features).

4. You must ensure your images are a maximum of 1024 pixels along its widest/longest edge, be in Jpeg format and the file size must not exceed 1 Meg (the EXIF data must be intact so that this can be verified by the organiser)

5. Entries should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects or borders, and must have been taken using a Canon EOS camera.

6. Images should be sent to the organiser at eos2016showcase@aj1.co.uk and you must indicate in the email (a) your real name, (b) your forum name and (c) a title for each of your photos and (d) which category each of your photos are entered into. Please put “EOS Photos 2016” in the email subject line. It is your responsibility to ensure your pictures meet the minimum requirements and information - Any entries that are not clearly verifiable will not be entered into the challenge without explanation, although, I will try my best like I did last year to advise you of any rejections but sadly this year cannot promise this.

7. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately). (this is a rule that is standard and is kept in here in case anyone else takes over but I will not be entering this year myself).

8. Up to five entries are permitted for this challenge, but only TWO can be in the same category. If after entering you want to withdraw an entry, or replace it, this is allowed providing it is done before the closing date for entry and you make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser what you want doing - so ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

9. If you enter, you HAVE TO VOTE - failure to vote during the vote period will result in your entries being disqualified.

10. The organisers decision is final - this competition is being held in good spirit and for fun. The organiser will not entertain or reply to any disputes, arguments or disagreements during or after the competition. Basically, if the organiser no longer finds the competition fun, it will be cancelled :)

11. I will do my best to acknowledge entries as soon as I can, but if you have not received an acknowledgement within 5 working days (Monday to Friday) then please drop the organiser (Bhuna) a private message to enquire if your photos have been received. The organiser will post regularly in this thread when he believes he is up to date with acknowledging all entries – if at that time you have not received an acknowledgement (check your spam folder) – and then please resend your pictures. I cannot promise this year how quickly I will acknowledge entries - hence allowing longer for entries to be received - please can you all try to send in entries quite a few days before the closing date so that if you then have any doubts, I can check before the closing date/time.

Categories:

• Landscape photography - Landscapes, seascapes and the urban landscape.

• People and portraits - Portraits, travel and street photography.

• Nature photography - Animals, flowers and other living things.

• Sport and action photography - All sports and action.

• Transport - Cars, bikes, ships, boats, planes, etc.

• Macro photography - Close-ups of any subject.

• Black and white only.

• HDR, Colour Popping, Infra Red and any other photographic 'technique'

• Anything else, that does not fall into above categories.

It is your responsibility to ensure your photo falls into the right category - if it doesnt then it may not get voted for.

Entries must be received by midnight (UK time) on Friday 20th January 2017. The organiser will then take a few days organising all photos into categories – and details will then be given about when and how to vote.

Entries must be sent to: eos2016showcase@aj1.co.uk and no other email / file transfer will be considered. If you get an error when sending to this email address it may be because the email box has been filled up quickly with all entries – please try again in a few hours or private message Bhuna advising that you are having problems.

Please copy and paste the email address so that mistakes are not made – the domain address is aj1.co.uk (that is: a for alpha, j for Juliet, and the number one).

Finally, there will be no further discussion regarding the rules of entry - these were discussed and worked for last years competition. Maybe I will have time to discuss in time for 2017 showcase entries :)

Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Claire Barrett; 11-01-2017, 14:44. Reason: Year of closing date corrected from 2016 to 2017
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: SHOWCASE 2016 - OPEN FOR ENTRIES

I expect that people are waiting to the weekend to sort through their pictures for this, but just bringing this to everyones attention again - only had one entry so far - Wrinklyrockers :)

(PS - Wrinklyrocker - I haven't checked them yet, but have received your email - will hopefully check they are all ok over weekend.)

Thanks,

Andy.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

only just back not even thought about it yet when closing date

forget that seen 20th
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Ian, Now you are back from Russia, about time you entered the monthly challenge as well. Dave

Comment

just posted mine...not sure if exif data is in tact....Ill resend if needed.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Brian,

Have sent you an email - the pictures came through embedded within email rather than attachments - I know we (not necessarily you but others and I) had this issue last year and I believe its something to do with Mac users (are you one) - can you resend but ensure you put the pictures as attachments please.

Same applies to everyone - can you send them as attachments please and not pasted/embedded within the email.

Many Thanks,

Andy
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Will work on mine this weekend Andy. With sooo many awesome shots it can take me a while, certainly longer than the others on here
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Yes Andy.....I'm using a Mac.....I've attached using the attachment icon (paperclip)...please advise if not ok.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

For some reason Brian - they still come through as embedded - I will double check it is my end as you are not the only one. Unfortunately, I have been ill all weekend and trying to prepare for an interview Tuesday morning, so have not had time to look at anything this weekend yet.

Thanks all,

Andy.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

I would suggest zipping the files up rather than attaching. This should stop them being embedded.
                    Alan.

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks Parsen.

Yes it looks like they need zipping - this is the forum message I did last year following the same problem:

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                      OK Many thanks to Richard (rcarca) for being the guinea pig and helping me with this.

It would appear that those of you that use Macs end up sending me an email with the pictures embedded and this has meant the loss of exif data and possible quality when Im trying to save as the file at my end.

To avoid this, please save your photos into a directory, select them, right click them and select compress - then compress them to a .zip file and send through that .zip file with your email.

More detailed instructions are here: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/10/how-t...s-in-mac-os-x/

Any problems, I will let you know LOL

Thanks,

Andy.

Cheers.

Andy.
                      Andy
                      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                        ..... trying to prepare for an interview Tuesday morning, so have not had time to look at anything this weekend yet.

Thanks all,

Andy.
                        Good Luck Andy.
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                          Good Luck Andy.
                          And from me Andy
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

And from me as well. Knock them dead Andy
                            Alan.

Comment

Good Luck Andy!

Ill zip and resubmit my entries soon.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                              X