Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External microphone EOS 700D

Good afternoon fellow snappers,

Does anyone know of a decent external mic that I'm able to mount on top of my 700D?

I did buy the dm100 although it isn't compatible.

I will be using the camera mainly outdoors and it is to record me rather than the surroundings.

My budget is £200.

Any advice would be great.

Mike

Re: External microphone EOS 700D

I bought a Rode Videomic for my 7D when I needed to film a friend's band as it had good reviews and at a good price. It tested well but was overpowered by the high sound levels at the gig making the recordings a mush - such a shame as the video was great! I later found that there are some dip switches (hidden beneath the battery!) to deal with this but for anything other than standing in front of the stage that wouldn't be necessary.

At around £70 it's well within your budget but whether suitable for your needs is debatable as the comment: "mainly outdoors and it is to record me rather than the surroundings" suggests you want to exclude ambient background noise and, even though the Rode is a 'shotgun' may not be focussed enough.

I've never used one so don't know if a lavalier mic (connected to the camera either with a long cable or wirelessly) would be discriminating enough but is something to consider.

There's plenty of resource online and here's just one set of reviews: < here >

Hope that helps :smile:

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Hi Jon, I've noticed there isn't a lot of option for external mics, it's surprising canon doesn't sell one.

I'll keep looking online. Thanks for your response!

:)

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEYTAKER View Post
        Hi Jon, I've noticed there isn't a lot of option for external mics, it's surprising canon doesn't sell one.
        Does it not? Try:
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

About £70 over his budget though Robert.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

If you're looking for shotgun mics (camera-mounted) there are quite a few options. The DM-E1 that Robert mentioned is both stereo and shotgun, which is pretty cool. There's a whole line of Rode shotgun mics and few others.. here's a decent list: https://www.podcastinsights.com/best...n-microphones/

Comment

Welcome to the forums Rosskw
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                Welcome to the forums Rosskw
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X