2-3 sec Shutter Delay EOS M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-3 sec Shutter Delay EOS M5

There appears to be an undocumented feature with the new M5. When using the camera in low light with external flash, there appears to be a 2 plus delay from the time you press the shutter button to when the shutter actually fires. From what I have read so far this is due to the electronics real-time view of the scene. If there is sufficient ambient lighting, then there is no issue, nor would you need a flash, however in lowlight there is a annoying delay, or sometimes the shutter does not fire at all. I first noticed this while taking family photos over Christmas and thought that I did something wrong. However today, I set up a studio shot using the M5 w/EF 40mm f/2.8, ISO set to 800, aperture at f/2.8, Shutter at 1/40 sec. Two external flashes, set to ETTL, one flash on camera as the master the other off camera as the slave. The was very noticeable delay from the time of pushing the shutter button and the firing of the shutter.

Note with the camera on a timer, there is no delay.

Tom

Re: 2-3 sec Shutter Delay EOS M5

Wonder if it can be overcome in settings menu tom ,my 80D used to do something similar but whatever I have done in menu has now cured that

Comment

I would think that in low light your camera is struggling to focus therefore delaying the shot. Some flash guns have in infra-red light which aids focusing in low light.

Comment

Tom - I have recently swapped my M3 for an M5 and have just attempted to replicate your observations.

Whilst it is certainly true that acquiring focus can be slow when there is little light (and therefore little contrast), once focus has been achieved, there does not seem to be any delay when pressing the shutter button - do you have the "beep" enabled so that you can detect that focus has locked on?
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
        X