Which lens for indoor butterflies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which lens for indoor butterflies?

It's coming up to that time of year when RHS Wisley does the "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" thing and as this is the first time since I joined the DSLR fraternity, I'd like to try to get some better shots than I've previously managed (with a Panny TZ40 compact and not very good results!)

Obviously, I will be attempting to shoot butterflies in a warm & humid indoor environment and I am aware of precautions to take to try to avoid condensation.

Anyhow, after a bit of research, it seems that the optimum lens for this would be a 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM but I'm not sure my credit card can stretch to one of those!

The question is, am I going to be sorely disappointed by using any one of the lenses I already have (see my sig, below). I suppose I could try to nurture my GAS a bit and buy something else more suitable, but I reckon anything more than a couple of hundred quid is going to hurt.

Any advice?
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Which lens for indoor butterflies?

The Sigma 105 mm macro is as good as the Canon in comparative tests and a lot cheaper (as Sigma always are compared to Canon).
    However, most of the butterflies will be pretty big and you'll need to stop down a fair bit to get them completely in focus. You don't really need a macro lens. The 55 - 250 IS STM focusses down to 85 cms and would probably do the job pretty well. I've photographed British butterflies with it. no problem. It would be useful to have diffused flash, preferably off camera.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks Richard. I only have the option of the built-in flash at the moment although I wonder if a Rogue Safari would help. My main concern is, as you say, needing to stop down and therefore having to use flash, a high ISO or a slower shutter speed.

I do quite like the idea of having a f/2.8 macro lens in my armoury but don't really want to throw too much money at the issue at the moment
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Firstly, thanks for reminding me of the event. Even though I've been the last two years, I'd completely forgotten about it this time.
        I used a 5D(3) with Canon 100mm macro and have had some quite good shots without using flash. Cameras these days are pretty good at higher iso's.
        You mentioned the condensation, I found you need to be in the greenhouse for at least 20mins before it clears.

John

Comment

I don't think the rogue safari would help, that concentrates the flash for more distant objects, such as birds with a telephoto. For butterflies you would be closer than that and you would really want to spread the flash wider so that you don't get a totally black background. If you do consider one, try Yongnuo, they are as good as Canon at a fraction of the price.
          I have three macro lenses because most of what I need to photograph is tiny, but I don't think they are worth it unless you are looking at things less than an inch or so long. For me, butterflies and dragonflies etc are not true macro subjects, they aren't that much, if at all, smaller than small birds and photographing them is usually from a fair distance. Before using the 55 - 250 IS STM I first used a book with life size butterfly pictures and tried photographing the pictures. I found I could virtually fill the frame with that lens from a sensible range. I never use the 105 mm macro for butterflies, you have to get closer, with no advantage gained.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
            Firstly, thanks for reminding me of the event. Even though I've been the last two years, I'd completely forgotten about it this time.
            You're welcome. 14th Jan to 5th March, if anyone else is interested.
            https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisle...the-glasshouse

It's only 40 minutes or so away, so I might try and go early on with the 55-250 and see how I get on, and then try to get another visit in later. I'll also be going with the missus (and my mum, probably), but I think that will have to be sans-camera - at the very least I doubt that I'll be given the time that I'll want!

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
            I used a 5D(3) with Canon 100mm macro and have had some quite good shots without using flash. Cameras these days are pretty good at higher iso's. You mentioned the condensation, I found you need to be in the greenhouse for at least 20mins before it clears.
            Thanks for the tip!
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
              Before using the 55 - 250 IS STM I first used a book with life size butterfly pictures and tried photographing the pictures. I found I could virtually fill the frame with that lens from a sensible range. I never use the 105 mm macro for butterflies, you have to get closer, with no advantage gained.
              Interesting, thanks!
              Chris

Comment

Chris, while you cannot afford the 100mm there is possibly a cheaper alternative, canon make some close up lenses that screw into the filter mount.

See

What are close-up lenses? Find out more and how to use Canon high performance double-element close-up D lenses with your Canon DSLR camera

Even those can be a bit pricy, though I think others make them too.

Check evil bay for cheaper, but be careful of some of the other makes.
                Last edited by TonyT; 13-01-2017, 19:13.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Failing that you can hire the 100 MM macro for three days for £28 or the 100mm IS L FOR £40 for a couple of days or even the 180L

See

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I have personally found the 100mm Macro does not really offer an ideal working distance for most insects , I think a close focusing zoom as suggested above might even have an edge in that department .

Comment

...off camera flash might be a good option....a bit awkward to do but Ive had good results ....at least as good as with the ring flash.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'll stick with what I've got for now and see how it goes.
                        Chris

Comment

I may pop along tomorrow if I feel better, man flu all week but think I'm over it now

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Several years ago, I picked up a Tamron Macro SP AF 180mm second hand from eBay for a mere £200. The image quality is fantastic... it's difficult to tell the difference between that and the Canon 180mm.

The only downside is that the autofocus speed is appalling (think in terms of days not micro seconds before it locks on!!). Having said that, I never use autofocus for butterfly shots anyway. I have a fair number of L lenses as well, but this is the one lens out of my collection that I wouldn't part with.

Comment

The latest version of the Tamron 90mm macro is really good (much more so than its predecessor)...but IMHO the 100 L is awesome both as a macro lens and as a general lens, plus the Bokeh is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X