Which path to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which path to choose?

I am looking to upgrade my Canon 7d mkii to Wifi this spring. I am most concerned with setting up a wireless remote environment via a Wifi hotspot that enables me to set my camera up on a tripod and view and set camera controls including AF via my iPad Pro and/or laptop. My main interest is entomology and macro photography. I have been doing as much online research as possible and it appears that I have one of three options open to me:

1. Canon WiFi W-E1 adapter
    2. Toshiba FlashAir
    3. EyeFi Mobi Pro

I understand that option 1 seems to difficult to find ATM, and that 2 & 3 offer memory storage capacity in addition to wifi, but I am wondering which, out of the three, offer the best provision of wifi hotspot and full camera control. Also, are there any other options that I haven't listed. Any comments and suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Which path to choose?

Your best option is the Canon W-E1 if you can get it
    Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Your best option is the Canon W-E1 if you can get it
      I checked with Park just before Christmas - they were hoping to get stock mid-January.
      Russell
      Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Thanks Alex & Russel. What are the advantages of using the Canon card, would you say?

Comment

Another vote for the Canon adapter for two main reasons:

1) It's purely a remote adapter and does not attempt to do local storage as well.

2) My deciding reason would be that it's Canon branded and thus endorsed. In the event of any problem using Canon software to remote control a Canon camera with a Canon adapter then there is only one end-to-end supplier involved. Eliminates the potential for two suppliers each blaming the other in the event of any issues.
          Last edited by Enigma; 16-01-2017, 13:59.

Comment

Also you need to have the latest firmware for the 7d MK11
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. After some more thought, I think that I will take a look at a wifi controller such as Camfi as that seems to provide much more remote control of the camera.

Comment

Working...
              X